March 2018 RGS Entry to Year 8

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jeenie

March 2018 RGS Entry to Year 8

Post by Jeenie »

Hi My DS sat the Year 8 entry exam and has been offered a place at Royal Grammar - yay. We live in Uxbridge and wondered if anyone from around here (Ickenham, ruislip etc) would be interested in car share. If so please get in contact.
Last edited by Jeenie on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guest55

Re: March 2018 RGS Entry to Year 8

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't advie driving anywhere near RGS - High Wycombe is often gridlocked. What about the train and then walk up the hill?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The best way would be bus to West Ruislip, train to High Wycombe. Flexible too.
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I'll second that. I go to Wycombe for work a few times a month and each of the possible routes out of Middlesex to RGS are heavily congested from the M40. Coming off at Loudwater the road into Wycombe and up the hill to RGS is dreadful. Coming off on the A404 junction is even worse. Rail and the walk is by far the best option because journey times by road will be a complete lottery.
Jeenie

Post by Jeenie »

Thanks everyone for your responses. Will keep on exploring options.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Jeenie wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses. Will keep on exploring options.
Helicopter?

Several people familiar with the school and the surrounding area have already expressed (identical) opinions on the best way to get there :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BiscuitEater

Post by BiscuitEater »

If it adds reassurance, there are a LOT of grammar school children walking up both hills of a morning and down again in the afternoon. Any children who turn up at High Wycombe station in the morning will find themselves in good company!
Jeenie

Post by Jeenie »

BiscuitEater wrote:If it adds reassurance, there are a LOT of grammar school children walking up both hills of a morning and down again in the afternoon. Any children who turn up at High Wycombe station in the morning will find themselves in good company!
Aw thanks for that. Someone has mentioned another option: Coach from Gerrards Cross.

Looking into all possibilities, thanks for your response.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

....but assumably a coach still has to travel on the same gridlocked roads as the liftshare car you have been advised against, would?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

It may be that traffic has increased exponentially since my day but everyone got the school coach to RGS in my time (my brother being one of them) and I never remember him talking about the slowness of the journey. Even in those days getting through the centre of Wycombe was bad (he would not have picked JHS to get to from the Chalfonts side) but getting to RGS (which is more on the edge really) is not so much of an issue?
Though relying on car shares etc from further away is more risky - what if you're late getting to the GX coach stop? The train still seems like the most logical and easiest option from Ruislip.