missed by 2 marks whsg appeal essex

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
arc

missed by 2 marks whsg appeal essex

Post by arc »

my daughter missed out by 2 marks and so we are appealing.the letter has to be in by friday and not sure what to put.

have her cats scores: qs - 126, vr - 121, nvr -110. her letters of support from her teachers. have her last report ,some 11+ papers and school books.

basically she didn't perform as well as expected on the day but it seems a bit weak to just put this on the form for my grounds of appeal! any advice would be great on what i should write.

her birthday is the end of august - should i mention this? will the appeal know wht scores she obtained or should i put this in?
many thanks
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Are there any mitigating circumstances relating to why she underperformed ( illness etc - although you would need some evidence of this)? You would need to refer to these.
Are you appealing on grounds of unsuitability or of unsuitability and oversubscription? If it's the latter, you will need to find some way to explain why the amount of prejudice to your child by not admitting them is greater than the prejudice to the other pupils if she was admitted.
All the best
Bougalou :)
capers123

Re: missed by 2 marks whsg appeal essex

Post by capers123 »

arc wrote:her birthday is the end of august - should i mention this? will the appeal know wht scores she obtained or should i put this in?
many thanks
You can mention it in passing, but that will have already been taken care of when working out the marks.
Capers
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Read through the sticky it answers many of your questions - is this school in Essex? If so I'm not sure they do standardise.

I would not take past 11+ papers - with only two marks away focus on academic evidence -
arc

Post by arc »

no mitigating circumstances she just had a bad day!! apparently they don't take age into consideration when they are calculating the marks.

we are just appealing on her unsuitabilty because she just missed out. we are in catchment and live a walking distance from the school. apparently not many catchment places were offered - would that help?

i'm guessing we wont be successful if that is the case could we be put on the waiting list? can we ask to see her papers incase any questions were left out by accident?

thanks for your help.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is an explanation of the CATs scores at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=6248

You are so close that you do not need strong extenuating circumstances - being in catchment probably doesn't carry much wait.
arc

Post by arc »

great many thanks for youe help.