The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

piggys

The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Post by piggys »

Dd finally gave into my nagging and created a revision guide which has cut out a lot of the mooning around and sort of looking at piles of books (she is a bit of a ditherer) rather than doing anything with them! she is pleased with her little guide, plus she likes a bit of colour coding. :lol:

She's aiming to do about 4 subjects a day of 1 or 1.5 hours each (not every day - we have social stuff planned as well). She's been busy downloading past papers and the school has provided lots of those as well.

Had a slight meltdown yesterday over something v v trivial but it just struck a nerve I think (she was tired, worried). Ok now though.

I am trying to be 'on hand' but not too intrusive. We have a phone compromise which entails her placing the said item on her bed which is on the other side of the room from her desk, and putting it on 'silent'. I can't possibly remove it from the room as that would be a step too far.

Anyhow good luck all year 11 (and 13) dc and don't work too hard. :D
buzzybee

Re: The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Post by buzzybee »

Dd hasn't exactly done a revision guide. However she is using her time wisely so far. Yesterday she did about 3 - 4 hours of 2 different subjects and then went to a friend's house for a sleepover. Today she is out with friend and then tomorrow she will be in school for one of the revision workshops (3 hours I believe). Next day she has a dance show at our local theatre so that will take up all day/evening on Thursday and then she will revise again on Friday. It seems to work for her to have complete free days of down time and then another day of revision. Works for her and I don't have to nag her. There's no point revising if she's tired. She said it doesn't sink in!

No meltdowns as yet....... She told me she needs more revision cards and that's it!

Good luck to all.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Revision timetable done and on the wall, along with the exam timetable. Revision one includes other things, like going to see Hamilton with friends etc.
Yesterday was ‘german’ revision as we went to see the in laws and a couple of german relatives were there. They wanted to go to Lush and DD is a fan too, so the three of them went together. DD sort of had to have a conversation with them in german. :lol: she realised both just how much she does know and just how much she doesn’t, if that makes sense.

Today she has been into school. :shock: to finish her music composition. It is done so that’s all coursework done now. She has revision books for a number of subjects.

She is also aiming for about 4 hours a day covering a couple of subjects.

The Eng Lit post it note quotes have made an appearance again. Except now there’s more of them.
(As an aside to Piggys, DD is doing Eduqas English Lang and Lit and there doesn’t seem to be much available, either as books, past/practice papers or online. She tells me the emphasis is different from Eduqas compared to other boards, so their stuff isn’t that useful. Any suggestions? )
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I have no idea...he has gone into revision sessions at school....
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I am helping DD with history. I have more info than she does. She says it's useful.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Oh yes, post it notes everywhere. Physics equations all over the wall plus the timetable and mock results with teachers predicted grades - hoping that will be motivation in itself!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Plus hallway mirror gets used as a white board.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Is this sticking of post-it notes all over the house to help revise a relatively new thing? Its not something I can remember anyone doing in my day? Is there evidence that it actually helps?

It seems quite a chaotic, haphazard method to revise from my own personal point of view but I guess if it works for some people then fine.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD only does it for Eng Lit quotes. She sticks them in places she will look at and reads them as she passes.
I suppose it’s a bit like writing on index cards, but they can be stuck up around the house rather than just tucked away somewhere.
I don’t think post it notes even existed when I was doing O levels.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

I nearly spat my tea out when I read the title, 'The Final Push'. It is more like the 'First Nudge' here.

DS son has spent most of Jan, Feb and March with revision guides piled up on his desk whilst he lays on his bed watching inane Youtube videos. The phrase, 'You can take a horse to water...' springs to mind.

This holiday, he has moved onto the desk chair and started on some mind maps.

Apparently, it is all under control. :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now