Crypt Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glosmum3

Crypt Appeals

Post by Glosmum3 »

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. My daughter did not get a qualifying score for Crypt, she ranked late 600s. She has been offered a place at SHS (which she loves). But Crypt is closer and easier to get to. If we were to appeal, could we appeal on the fact that with hindsight she would have had a qualifying score. I realise that it's just one of those things and it was extremely hard for Crypt to second guess the appropriate score, but I also feel that if she choses to appeal I could potentially be left with a lot of preparation.
hermanmunster

Re: Crypt Appeals

Post by hermanmunster »

did you put Crypt down on the CAF?
Jaethel

Post by Jaethel »

Glosmum3 wrote:Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. My daughter did not get a qualifying score for Crypt, she ranked late 600s. She has been offered a place at SHS (which she loves). But Crypt is closer and easier to get to. If we were to appeal, could we appeal on the fact that with hindsight she would have had a qualifying score. I realise that it's just one of those things and it was extremely hard for Crypt to second guess the appropriate score, but I also feel that if she choses to appeal I could potentially be left with a lot of preparation.
Crypt have about 70 places to fill according to the allocation stats, and have been looking for people to appeal - check their website - can you call them? I’d suggest you had an excellent chance, esp if in late 600s. You might have had to put it on the secondary reply form on 1 March though, if not on original CAF. But the school will know.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi I’d definitely recommend appealing if Crypt is easier for you to get to...she has qualified for another grammar which I this is a positive...if you have some good evidence of academic ability from primary school..ask if you can get current reading and spelling age and any NFER / cat test results and projected end of yr 6 results...
Hopefully you will free up a space for someone wanting a place at SHS as well xx
Glosmum3

Post by Glosmum3 »

Thanks for the replires. It was not on our CAF as she had a non qualifying score, the cut off was 600 and she was in the 690s. My understanding is that as she did not qualify she can only appeal and the deadline for that is the 27th April.
Normally when you appeal you are trying to qualify that your child is academically bright enough for that school, and you produce evidence to that effect (well at least that's my take on it). However in this case, with the exceptional circumstances at Crypt, the allocation statistics show that she very probably did have a qualifying score- it was just very hard for Crypt to predict it. It's half term so I can't talk to school, I just wondered if anyone else has spoken to them with this type of query. It seems crazy if I need to produce paperwork from school, family etc when the stats speak for themselves. In hindsight she should have had a qualifying score. I hope that make sense, sorry if it's a bit garbled.
Amber

Post by Amber »

The situation with Crypt is a little different this year as they didn't deem enough children qualified to fill their places. I agree it would be a good idea to call the school and ask - as your daughter has qualified for SHS it is unlikely that she wouldn't have got a qualifying score for Crypt if they had applied their standardisation correctly, or rather, more realistically. I reckon they would be glad to have her and you probably only need the minimum of academic evidence to get in now with that score. Personally I agree it would seem daft to have to produce a whole lot of extra stuff but perhaps ask in the appeals section if Etienne et al are up to speed with this rather unusual situation?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

It really would be a whole lot easier if Crypt just came out and siad. "Sorry everyone , we got it wrong. And have now recalculated.. these are now the qualifying scores...****"
Glosmum3

Post by Glosmum3 »

That would help, as I assume there are lots of parents like me who are on the fence due to the uncertainty. I love SHS, but it's a much longer day for my daughter due to the lack of local transport. She has spent nearly 5 months thinking that she would be going to SHS, so is now quite luke warm about Crypt, who in her eyes didn't want her. It's also hard for the parents on waiting lists at other schools second guessing how the appeals might impact on their child. To be fair to Crypt I believe council rules prevent them changing the qualifying score.
Jaethel

Post by Jaethel »

Just wondering aloud - usually one of the options for appeal is over-subscription - is there a case this year for ‘under-subscription’!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I did read on here that last year Crypt contacted parents of some of those who had not qualified and offered them a place. I queried how this could have happened but can't remember the answer! But yes it would seem fairer and more straightforward now if Crypt could somehow admit an error and contact everyone who might be in with a chance. As several of us have pointed out on here, not many parents see this forum and it could be that many children who would like to go there won't get the chance, and many parents might not feel able to face a complicated appeal.