From Private school to Grammar School.

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

From Private school to Grammar School.

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

:) As some of you may know I am trying to work out whether to stay in the independent sector or opt for a grammar school. I was wondering if anyone had a child at independent school and then opted for Grammar school, have you been pleased with the grammar and was there any marked difference btween independent and grammar. I know there are a lot of independent schools which differ greatly in price, and some have been set up purely as feeders for the grammar schools, but if anyone has a child that went to an independent school that fed mainly onto senior independent schools, but opted for grammar then I'd be really interested in your views. :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DD and DS went to private primaries that fed to a mixture of state and independent schools. We opted for State Grammar

What differences did I notice?

No fees to pay
Uniform a lot cheaper at State
Less "keeping up with the Jones's"
High Academic standards at State Grammar
Shorter holidays at State schools = less option to get away for a break when the state schools have gone back / not yet broken up.
Ridiculous requests for data on Ethnicity / Languages spoken at home etc etc....

sure I'll think of a few more
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What about discipline and manner, more/less holistic etc...?
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

My ds went from independent prep (i.e aiming for common entrance) to grammar. We noticed:

1. Bullying much better dealt with (no customers to please)
2. Higher academic standards
3. Much worse communication with parents-down from 3 parents evenings per year to just one at which you are barely able to see any teachers
4. Better behaviour
5. Worse sports facilities and coaching and very little availability for extra-curricular for boys not in top teams due to lack of staff (but apparently much better than it used to be and no worse than other state schools)
6. Being highly academic, eccentric and a bit "geeky" much better tolerated
7. Much closer to home-ds can walk
8. Cheaper!!!

Would I do the same again-yes.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Just asked DS this question as he's the one who has actually experienced both - his answer was HOLIDAYS! (Rather a sore point as DD is still at prep school).

Other than that:

1) Cheaper
2) Cheaper Uniform
3) Really nice kids and parents
4) Less bullying
5) Much Less feedback
6) Far more Cover Lessons (which DS absolutely hates)
7) Poorer discipline
8) Poorly structured reward system
9) Poorer facilities
10) Higher staff turnover - a bit unsettling
11) Considerably less games and PE
12) DS spent most of Yr 7 complaining he was bored whilst waiting for kids from state schools to catch up.

However, despite there being more negatives than positives on my list, DS is very happy there and is progressing well and has finally found a nice group of like minded friends.

Would we do the same again? - we're just about to with DD.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

How do I stop 8) when I want to type an 8 in a list?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks :D Another question - what about confidence, more/less? Is the curriculum more restricted at grammar school? Is there ever a situation where you're bullied for being bright at grammar school - odd question, I know!?
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Tipsy,

cannot answer in comparison with independent school (son only went to independent from 4 to 5 1/2 years old) but he was bullied for being bright in primary school. In the 2 years he has been at grammar school he has never been bullied for being bright .... as it is normal to be bright.

Sam's mum,

you need to leave a space between the 8 and the ), an 8 immediately followed by a ) will bring up the smiley face. :)
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Confidence - DS definitely has more confidence which I think comes from being happier. Has never been bullied for being bright - on the contrary, seems to be respected for his abilities (is seen as particularly bright even in a highly selective school).

Chad - thanks - I was getting a bit :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now