Maths textbook - year 5

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

schooling123

Maths textbook - year 5

Post by schooling123 »

My son has been doing a number of papers 10-11 CGP, Bond, but I am thinking that as he gets some answers wrong, he would need to consolidate his maths division/ multiplication methods etc...Which text book would be good in Year 5? Maths on Target (year 6/ a year ahead)?

Thank you
doodles

Re: Maths textbook - year 5

Post by doodles »

Is he in year 4 or 5? (Your other post says 4).

I wouldn't worry about the "title" but would ensure he has a firm and solid grasp of the basics first and work forward from there. If he's year 4 play lots of games in English and maths and make it fun.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
piggys

Post by piggys »

Why do you want him to be a year ahead? it will make his experience of school a negative one.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is he home educated?

If not, why not start by encouraging him to pay close attention to everything that he is being taught in school, before worrying about getting a few things wrong in papers designed for testing above his current year group. Particularly important if it is the basics that he is falling down on imho.

If your DS genuinely enjoys maths puzzles as puzzles, so to speak, then the nrich website (which you have already found?) has lots of them, also the Primary Maths Challenge site
http://www.primarymathschallenge.org.uk/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now