Last minute appeal - Please help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

atalla78

Last minute appeal - Please help

Post by atalla78 »

Hi everyone,

Our DD failed Lancashire Grammar School exam in VR and English by 2 & 5 marks. On the day of the exam, she had tummy upset and had to go to the toilet, 3 times. One before the exams started and twice during the exams. I called the school last month to check if the incidents are records and I was advised there is a record only during the VR exam, for 7 minutes and nothing else. DD is 100% sure she had to go toilet in the middle of another exam as well.

I was hoping to appeal based on this extenuating circumstance and her academic ability but I didn't think we had a chance so decided not to (mainly because the second incident is not recorded and it will ber her her word against the invigilator).

Having spoken to a friend since, I now want to appeal but the deadline is 12th April. I can complete the form and send before the deadline but I can't submit any evidence of her academic ability or letter from her school until next week as schools are closed this week.

1. Can I send the form without schools letter and send that at a later date or submit on the day of hearing (if we get a hearing)

2. As per the forum's suggestions, my case will be on her academic ability and also the extenuating circumstance that she lost valuable time (although only one is recorded) which could/may have made her scores better. Can I add anything else here?

3. DS is out of catchment, so would have needed a high score as OOC places are allocated on score basis. So, even if time lost could would have given her a better score, not sure if she would have still got admission. Is it worth applying?

I feel bad that I have left it late, hoping for some suggestions and advice here.

Thanks,
ToadMum

Re: Last minute appeal - Please help

Post by ToadMum »

Check the guidance notes with the appeal form for the exact procedure, but generally, yes, you can submit additional documentation after submission but beforet a given cut-off date. You can also (take copies for yourself, for each member of the panel, for the clerk and for the admission authority's presenting officer) ask to submit additional evidence on the day of the appeal, but the panel can decide not to accept this, especially if it consists of multiple pages.

You really need to concentrate on evidence of your DD's academic ability and a lot less on the events of the day of the exam. The first question with regard to your DD's illness would be, 'Why did you let her sit the exam when she was obviously unwell?'. Most schools ask parents to confirm that their DC are well enough to sit the test; does this school not do this, or provide details of an alternative testing date for those who are unwell on the day? Or did the tummy upset only manifest itself after the start of the exam?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
atalla78

Post by atalla78 »

Thanks Toadmum for the reply. DD only mentioned just before we reached the exam hall, didn't seem in great pain, all she said was that she had slight pain but was happy to write the exam. It got worse after we dropped her off.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As Toadmum says, then, you need to focus on proving her academic ability and, almost apologetically, if they ask why she didn't do so well on the day, explain that you think her tummy upset might just have been the difference, rather than trying to build a case based on her being unwell (by taking her to the test you are saying that she is fit and well to take it.)
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

As Toadmum has said, your first job is to convince yourself, then a panel, that there is a strong academic case. Remember the advice from the sticky topic:

You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances.
You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.

If you can present enough evidence of grammar school suitability, then the difficulties in the test might be viewed as a factor as to why your daughter didn't achieve the score her academic levels suggested she would, but it would be a long shot I think.
lucylucy

Post by lucylucy »

Go for it, you've got nothing to lose. Good luck
atalla78

Post by atalla78 »

Thanks everyone, I have drafted my letter mainly based on her ability and that the circumstances on the day has contributed to the low marks but she is actually better than that. I am also enclosing her term report which shows her levels in each area.

Thanks again all.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Plenty of good advice above, but don't overlook the need to give reasons for wanting a place.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You must assume the school is going to be oversubscribed, and you don't want to win the argument about qualification, only to lose the appeal because you haven't tried to counter the prejudice to the school.

See example of a letter of appeal:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now