Appealing for a Grammar place in Medway, Kent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lucylucy

Appealing for a Grammar place in Medway, Kent

Post by lucylucy »

Hi all,

I'm preparing for an appeal for a grammar place after my daughter missed the 11 plus by a few marks and had an unsuccessful review. In Medway there are 2 stages to appeal which are apparently both held before a panel at the same time, first being that you have to prove the review process wasn't fair and objective etc.

Firstly has anyone had any experience of this part? I have found little online apart from some questions on here I could put to the panel such as 'Did the same panel members consider every case, and if not, how was consistency ensured?'. The only nugget I seem to have is that in the review comments they said there was not much Science work submitted which I can argue was not my daughters fault.

I've just had my letter of support from the headteacher and it says her KS1 results were all 3c, is that good for KS1?

Everything else just states she is currently at, and expected to reach 'above age related expectations'. I have read on here that that is not enough and they will want something more specific, is that true?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Etienne

Re: Appealing for a Grammar place in Medway, Kent

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
lucylucy wrote:In Medway there are 2 stages to appeal which are apparently both held before a panel at the same time, first being that you have to prove the review process wasn't fair and objective etc.
I would have thought there should be 3 parts:
• whether the review was 'fair, consistent & objective'
• academic ability
• reasons for wanting a place at this particular school
Firstly has anyone had any experience of this part? I have found little online apart from some questions on here I could put to the panel such as 'Did the same panel members consider every case, and if not, how was consistency ensured?'.
The Bucks review system isn't exactly the same (e.g. school work is excluded), but have a look at Bucks because section D - where appropriate - might give you some ideas:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've just had my letter of support from the headteacher and it says her KS1 results were all 3c, is that good for KS1?
Borderline, I think. 3b is usually considered an early predictor for grammar school (but of course a lot can happen between Y2 and Y6).
Everything else just states she is currently at, and expected to reach 'above age related expectations'. I have read on here that that is not enough and they will want something more specific, is that true?
The problem is that 'above expectations' covers such a wide range of ability. It begs the question: how far above expectations?
If 100 is average, 101 is presumably above expectations - but 101 is unlikely to be grammar school standard.
Ideally, for KS2, the current school would be predicting scaled scores of 111+ for reading & maths, and GDS (greater depth) for writing.
Etienne
lucylucy

Post by lucylucy »

Hi and thanks Etienne.

The process is about as clear as mud to be honest, initially I got two different answers from the council about whether I could even appeal or not. They have since told me that both stages of the appeal would be heard by the same panel during the same hearing.From what I've read from others you aren't made aware of whether you successfully convince them whether the process was fair before you then try and convince them your child is of a grammar standard.

I see what you mean about above expected standards, I'm hoping I will have some good Sats results to take in with me at the actual appeal though.
lucylucy

Post by lucylucy »

Hi all,

I'm still looking for some advice on proving the review process of my daughters 11 plus wasn't fair consistent and objective.

I have been questioning the council who have written in email that they aren't able to give me any further information as 'unfortunately no other information is recorded' which to me sounds like a good point to take forward as they can't prove things were done fairly without a paper trail surely?

Is it worth printing these emails and submitting them as evidence?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is it worth printing these emails and submitting them as evidence?
I think so - as part of the argument that para. 3.13b of the Appeals Code appears to put the onus on the admission authority to prove its case for ‘fair, consistent & objective’, not on parents to disprove it.

Our impression is that different panels in Medway have varied in how they've interpreted the Code, so let's hope you are lucky with your panel.

I would certainly try arguing that para. 3.13b requires evidence that "each child’s review was carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way". Where is their evidence in your case?
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now