appeal for 12 plus

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

givemehope

appeal for 12 plus

Post by givemehope »

hello all,
would someone be able to guide me on the appeal process for 12 plus entry ?
My DC sat for a buckingshire 12 plus entry exam and missed by 1 mark. We are looking for a boarding place.
Can someone please let me know if we have a chance and how to proceed with the same.
thanks so much in advance.
anotherdad

Re: appeal for 12 plus

Post by anotherdad »

givemehope wrote:hello all,
would someone be able to guide me on the appeal process for 12 plus entry ?
My DC sat for a buckingshire 12 plus entry exam and missed by 1 mark. We are looking for a boarding place.
Can someone please let me know if we have a chance and how to proceed with the same.
thanks so much in advance.
I thought you were in Lancashire and had a place at LRGS?

Which school in Buckinghamshire are you looking for a boarding place at? I think it very unlikely that there would be a place available in a Bucks grammar school year 8 by the time you have gone through a qualification appeal, even if you were successful.
givemehope

Post by givemehope »

@ another dad, thanks for your reply.
we have a place at LRGS but we are also looking at RGS as well.

another dad, I didnt understand "[i]I think it very unlikely that there would be a place available in a Bucks grammar school year 8 by the time you have gone through a qualification appeal, even if you were successful.[/i]" could u please elaborate.
thx.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Wow, they are some distance apart!

To elaborate on my point, I now know it's RGS you sat the test with. As you will know, they conduct their own late transfer process so you will need to contact them directly to appeal rather than through Bucks County Council which handles lots of other Bucks grammar schools' admissions systems. My comment was a more general one because I incorrectly assumed you sat the Bucks 12+ test rather than a particular school's test. Late transfer allocations for most of the schools have now been completed and I think they're all full. That may or may not be the case for RGS because they aren't listed in the council's allocation data.

The hurdles you will need to jump through to secure a place at RGS might be:

- an appeal to show strong academic evidence of suitability, suggesting the 12+ near miss was not in keeping with your son's genuine ability.
- if that appeal were successful, you would then have to hope that RGS has a space in the current year 7 to accommodate your son in September.
- if there isn't a space, you will have to go on a waiting list and possibly appeal for oversubscription

You need to contact RGS because I'm speculating and I can't see any mention of appeals for non-qualification at 12+, but I suspect the likelihood of gaining a place is very, very slim. Any spaces in the current year 7 will I'm sure be filled by 12+ qualifiers in September.
givemehope

Post by givemehope »

thankyou so much for your detailed reply.
Amber

Post by Amber »

May I ask where you live, that you are considering schools at literally opposite ends of the country for your son? You don't have to reply if you prefer not to. I imagine the feeling of a Lancashire school and its surroundings would be very different from a Bucks grammar, but surely the need for your son to get home at the weekends and for you to be able to visit him regularly would be the overriding concern here?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Have you read the Q&A section? It tells you all you need to know about appealing (whether at 11+ or 12+).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are likely to be 2-3 parts to your case:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even if RGS conducts its own late testing, it might nevertheless delegate appeals to the county council. You will need to ask (although if your application for a place was unsuccessful, I'm surprised they didn't provide details of how to appeal).
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suppose they are both boarding schools - only thing is that it is nice for the kids at boarding school to be able to get home for weekends and see relatives - not easy if it is a very long way away
givemehope

Post by givemehope »

hermanmunster wrote:I suppose they are both boarding schools - only thing is that it is nice for the kids at boarding school to be able to get home for weekends and see relatives - not easy if it is a very long way away
that is exactly how we feel.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

givemehope wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:I suppose they are both boarding schools - only thing is that it is nice for the kids at boarding school to be able to get home for weekends and see relatives - not easy if it is a very long way away
that is exactly how we feel.
So why on earth did you apply to Lancashire if it is so far away from home that you are now trying to get a school that is closer, if that is exactly how you feel?! Are the school's in your home area so very bad?