Kent appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kentmumma

Kent appeals

Post by kentmumma »

Hi

I am in the processing of appealing for a West Kent Grammar and was wondering if there are other people in the same situation on the forum that would be up for moral support and discussing preparation tips for appeal hearing?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Kent appeals

Post by kenyancowgirl »

People in the same situation are in direct competition, in a sense...!
Amazingrace

Post by Amazingrace »

Hi Dear,
Basically you have to do a lot of reading on this forum, it gathering information's relevant to your case. Hope I am helpful. Wish you all the Best.
kentmumma

Post by kentmumma »

Thank you Amazingrace, I have been reading through a lot of posts and will continue to do so.

I would like to think that everyone's situation is different and the evidence provided would be determining factor for the overall decision, I am after tips for preparing for the hearing as I am not sure what to expect.
I am currently waiting to get the date for the hearing in the post.
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

Hello Kentmumma,
My advise is to read, re read and ask questions on this forum. Everyone is extremely helpful and helped me no end this time last year.
Read the sticky at the top - 'feedback all areas', this will give you an idea of what happens on the day and the types of questions you could be asked. Did you get an appeal pack from the school yet? they would have mentioned what to and what not to send.

The best advise I had was to keep it short and to the point and to have dh (or whoever is going with you) well informed as well. I was the one who prepared initial appeal letter, talked to teacher/head teacher, then sent off official letter with all evidence etc.
On the day, I was fine until the school representative came out to meet us and then my emotions took over. Never heard my voice quiver so much! But my notes were clear, I'd highlighted important points to expand on if asked and he took over when he needed to.

Good luck
kentmumma

Post by kentmumma »

Thanks Crackerjax, my situation sounds similar to yours!
I am finalising my notes and rehearsing the statement as I plan not to read from a piece of paper
I will refer to the sticky at the top, thanks
The headteacher has mentioned that she is more than happy to accompany me and dh on the day which I thought is re-assuring and firms up her support.
I will be taking lead on speaking on the day and will let dh expand on my points and finish off the presentation, this is so nerve wrecking!
If you don't mind me asking which grammar did you appeal last year?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum. :)
....... tips for appeal hearing?
In addition to "feedback from all areas", have you seen the Q&A section?
It gives you all the tips you are likely to need, whether in Kent or elsewhere.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne