Paper format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stroudmama

Paper format

Post by Stroudmama »

Can i ask does the 11+ cem paper always have the same format each year?

For example:

Paper 1
Comprehension
Synonyms / Antonyms
Numerical Reasoning

Paper 2
Numerical Reasoning
Close
Non Verbal Reasoning

Have I got it right?

Thanks so much!
Tinkers

Re: Paper format

Post by Tinkers »

I’m no CEM expert, but I believe CEM change around the format. It’s best to get your DC ‘to expect the unexpected’ if you get my drift, rather than get used to a certain format, as they might be thrown of its different. If they expect it could well be different on the day, they’ll be better able to deal with it.
Stroudmama

Post by Stroudmama »

Arh thank you!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As Tinkers said, the answer to your question is that it is unlikely to. E the same. CEM are notorious for changing it up to keep people guessing - the only sure thing is that it is likely to chop and change within each paper and that applicants will have to work fast and accurately.

If your child needs to know the exact format, then a CEM test is not the one for them. "Expect the unexpected" is a good mantra as is to deal with what is in front of you on the day.
Shoemaker

Post by Shoemaker »

Agree with previous replies.
My DCs took the tests in 2016 and 2017. Both times there were quite big unexpected changes in the verbal reasoning questions and in the way the paper was ordered.
‘Expect the unexpected’ is definitely the best advice to follow.
Good luck :D
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Shoemaker - interested in the changes your dc saw, can you say more?
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

‘Expect the unexpected’ is such good advice. There was a curve ball thrown in the last test with a comprehension section which we’d never seen in any books! My ds & friends who’d prepped using a variety of resources were slightly perturbed but just got on with it. A friend’s son had done lots & lots of a particular tutor’s mocks & was scoring really highly as was used to the tutor’s format. He was totally thrown by it as wasn’t good at dealing with the unexpected :cry: My best advice would be not to only do one type of book, variety makes them more resilient. CGP was my favourite resource but it’s important to add in other types like FPP, Bond, whizzmatch, quizlet etc
Shoemaker

Post by Shoemaker »

steppemum wrote:Shoemaker - interested in the changes your dc saw, can you say more?
Hi steppemum, think I am allowed to talk about the test now as the late test has been taken.

I have had a message to say that late testing can take place up until August so have removed details

Hermanmunster (Mod)
Shoemaker

Post by Shoemaker »

Shoemaker wrote:
steppemum wrote:Shoemaker - interested in the changes your dc saw, can you say more?
Hi steppemum, think I am allowed to talk about the test now as the late test has been taken.

I have had a message to say that late testing can take place up until August so have removed details

Hermanmunster (Mod)
Blimey, I’m really sorry, I didn’t realise :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Shoemaker wrote:
Blimey, I’m really sorry, I didn’t realise :oops:
Don't worry - I didn't know either, but someone who knows the area better was aware that it can happen. Some areas allow late tests well beyond allocation day and almost up to the next test etc etc!
hence it is never easy knowing when the content of the test can be discussed :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now