SAT related question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Souvik

SAT related question

Post by Souvik »

Hello everyone

Can anyone please help me for the below topic:

If someone has already been offered in Grammer shool however due to some medical reason or personal reason miss to seat on SAT, how does it effect ?
Is he going to loose the position in Grammar school?

is there any alternative dates for SAT?

Please kindly help me to understand, Thanks in advance
Tinkers

Re: SAT related question

Post by Tinkers »

Once offered a School place, it won’t be withdrawn because of SATs performance.

A place will only be withdrawn if it has been obtained fraudulently (or in rare occasions, as we’ve seen this year, because the LA offered them incorrectly, but that opens up a whole raft if issues).

If children miss SATs because of illness, primaries will usually want them to take them at the earliest possible date after. A friend of mine had a DS who missed them due to illness and was made to sit them when he came back. (Even though he was sit not fully well and therefore did not perform as well as he should have done.)
Souvik

Post by Souvik »

Hi Tinkers

Thanks a lot for your information
Do you have any idea, how long they can wait to reschedule the SAT dates?
This year I think the SAT date is 14th May to 17th May, can they wait upto June?

Many Thanks
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Tbh, I have no idea how long the school can wait. I wouldn’t worry too much about SATs though. Secondary schools use them as part of their target setting but not in isolation and there will always be some students at secondaries who haven’t done SATs for various reasons (most private schools don’t do them). I’d guess that the teacher assessment part will still go forward to the secondary school. Your child should not be disadvantaged if they haven’t done them for some reason.

If you have specific issues, it might be worth asking the primary school and the secondary school allocated what they would do, in the event of your child missing them for some reason, if that will ease your mind.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think it's up to a week but the school will know. Hace you discussed this with your current school? Most schools won't authorise absence in KS2 test week and students have been supervised at home if they are unwell.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Just checked this: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... __ARA_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It says on page 23: "If it isn’t possible for all pupils to take a test on the day specified in the statutory timetable, schools must apply for a timetable variation on NCA tools. If approved by STA, a timetable variation allows an individual pupil, or partial or whole cohort, to take the test up to 5 school days after the original day of the test. Schools must wait for approval from STA before beginning the test on a new day. Pupils must be in a fit state to take the tests."
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Guest55 wrote:I think it's up to a week but the school will know. Hace you discussed this with your current school? Most schools won't authorise absence in KS2 test week and students have been supervised at home if they are unwell.
Do any school's authorise absence at anytime, now?!! :D (Except for medical reasons, obviously!) They would be particularly unimpressed, I suspect, if a parent was making their child miss SATs to take them on holiday, for example.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, in exceptional circumstances but probably not in KS2 test week as the dates are published so far in advance. The results are also very important for the school if they want to keep Ofsted away!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’m assuming from the OPs first post that there maybe an underlying medical issue. Maybe they are waiting for a hospital appt etc, or it’s an ongoing issue that may flare up.

If this is the case then if it were me, my focus would be my child’s health over everything else. If the appt lands during SATs week and can’t easily be moved then as a parent, for me, the appt would trump SATS. I’d hope the School would be understanding in that case too.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’m assuming from the OPs first post that there maybe an underlying medical issue. Maybe they are waiting for a hospital appt etc, or it’s an ongoing issue that may flare up.

If this is the case then if it were me, my focus would be my child’s health over everything else. If the appt lands during SATs week and can’t easily be moved then as a parent, for me, the appt would trump SATS. I’d hope the School would be understanding in that case too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now