Unsuccessful Bucks selection review but think not FCO

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Woobywoo

Re: Unsuccessful Bucks selection review but think not FCO

Post by Woobywoo »

It baffles me to be honest. Her end of yr assessments in yr 5 put her above 98th percentile and then in yr 6 she continues at 94th and 98th percentile too. So the transfer test result is the anomalous one. It is hard to argue what happened really and the main thing is she had such a tough year 5 for 2 terms - but it is hard to explain why this specifically impacted the 11 plus. Maybe we just have to say that and try to focus on the academic evidence we do have rather than the crap year 5. I’m tying myself up in knots which is clearly what the panel will set out to do! Eek

Woobywoo
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think you need to 'argue' that the Transfer Test taken on one day was an anomaly and every other bit of data says she is very able. Is this what the Head thinks?
Woobywoo

Post by Woobywoo »

Yes absolutely. Both heads from both schools very strongly support her as 1 .1 recommendation and have provided letters with data from level 3s at ks1 and working at greater depth all the way through.

Woobywoo
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Woobywoo wrote:Just received appeal dates today for AHS - wasn’t expecting it yet - not sure why not. Can anyone tell me if the stage one appeal is just AHS appeals of also for the boys’ school at same time?
We think the group hearing will be just for one school. The process is already complicated enough with FCO, qualification, and oversubscription - without adding on different prejudice cases from two separate schools.
I’m tying myself up in knots which is clearly what the panel will set out to do!
They probably won't - but we try to prepare for the worst case scenario! :oops:

With regard to the extenuating circumstances, remember that whatever you originally put on your request for a review will appear in the appeal paperwork.

I'm inclined to stand by the previous advice: "It all looks a bit tortuous in writing - but I think it would sound quite natural as part of a conversation, so I suggest you wait for a suitable question. It's more likely than not that someone on the panel will ask about your extenuating circumstances".

If you give short, 'one sentence at a time' answers, you're less likely to tie yourself up in knots.
    • "To be honest, we're struggling to understand."

"It really seems an anomaly in the light of all the other academic evidence."

Despite all the previous disruption, she coped extremely well with the structured environment of class work.

"An 11+ test early on at a new school is a very different situation - it probably came too soon for her."
How has she progressed since the autumn? Ideally we would want to refute the SRP's suggestion that the school was being over-optimistic back in October. Is the head willing to write about excellent recent progress and re-confirm the end of year predictions?

The other missing bit of information (which might help us) is the appendix summarising how many children at the school qualified with a 1:1, 1:2, 2:1, 2:2 recommendation. Perhaps you could send me a copy of the school case when you receive it?
Etienne
Woobywoo

Post by Woobywoo »

Thanks Etienne

Yes she has progressed well - two further assessments across reading and maths have shown her to be at 94th percentile ( maths) and 98th percentile (wnglish) in autumn and spring - which back up the assessments at end of yr 5 (98th+ percentile both) Head has written another letter saying she and yr 6 teacher strongly support the appeal and she continues to predict top sats results. We also have more evidence from previous school and their strong support (although they are NOT a high performing school).

When you say ‘the schools case’ - do you mean from our HT or from the admission authority? Our HT has not given me a breakdown for the whole class but has confirmed in writing that 10 passed (more than usual) 6 were 1.1s and our dd was the only 1.1 not to pass. Is that ok? Sorry if I am misunderstanding sthg. I am going to request mock sats results plus latest reading/maths/spelling ages too.

Thanks as always
Woobywoo
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

When you say ‘the schools case’ - do you mean from our HT or from the admission authority?
It will be in the case from the admission authority (assuming the format continues to be the same as in previous years).
6 were 1.1s and our dd was the only 1.1 not to pass.
Good!
It would still be interesting to see the overall picture.
(The 2:1s and 2:2s are harder to get right, and can be a better indicator!)
Etienne
Woobywoo

Post by Woobywoo »

Ok thanks. Once we get it I will share that.

Woobywoo
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Score in percentages aren't hepful without a context. Please use the KS2 test format or the panel won't have a clue.
Woobywoo

Post by Woobywoo »

Thanks Guest55 and by that you mean a score out of 120 plus GDS for writing?

Woobywoo
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - if its a practice KS2 test then give the mark. If its something else like an NFER assessment then give in a format they will recognise.