Good YouTube channels for revision.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Decisiontime639

Good YouTube channels for revision.

Post by Decisiontime639 »

Dd is thinking of different approaches to revision.

If anyone has any recommendations for some good YouTube channels for revision, please write here.

Her friend recommended ‘science with hazel’ for science and ‘mrbruff’ for English.

She finds videos an effective way to revise.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Good YouTube channels for revision.

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Hmmm...I have to be honest, if my son started barking up that tree, I think I would have something to say - nothing better for procrastination than a few hours whiled away on YouTube.....
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’ve seen a few, as has DD, and tbh I’ve not been impressed the the quality of any of the ones I’ve seen.

As KCG says, it’s open to a lot of passive screen staring and procrastination too.
Decisiontime639

True..

I totally agree with the fact that it is passive learning and procrastination is possible
What I meant was writing notes as well whilst watching
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

We have been advised by school to avoid Mr Bruff.
You tube once started would be the end of any revision in our house.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DD uses a lot of online visual resources - being dyslexic this is much better for her than a textbook, where the energy needed to decode the text sometimes doesn't leave enough energy to actually get anything out of it!

The best resource we have found for science is my-gcse.com. The videos (which are powerpoints with a teacher's voice and added notes) are accompanied by printable sheets with the skeleton powerpoints on which the student can add to as they watch, and exam style questions and answers. But you have to pay for it and it may not seem worth it now - we have had it since last June and it has proved very useful. You can find some of the videos on youtube, but not the sheets to match. She also likes Doodlescience for Physics.

DD also did very well in English Literature having watch Mr Bruff videos on her books. Mr Salles also has some English stuff.

Mathsgenie is useful for maths - topics organised by grade with questions and mark schemes

Seneca is a fairly new resource - with some video or written resources, interspersed with questions to check understanding - it is supposed to adapt to your learning. Not all subjects are there, but there are sciences, including ones for the practicals and for equations in physics and chemistry, and also some English Literature ones which DD finds useful. It is still in beta phase and not always that easy to find your way around, but worth a hunt. Also has history and is promising others too

With all of them DD does stop and start them and take notes, so it's a bit more active than just staring at a screen

I am already looking for A level visual resources for DD - in chemistry and biology mainly, but also possible music
Last edited by 2childmum on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Mr Bruff seems very popular at DD’s school. I’ve heard he’s good for Literature but only good for Language if it’s AQA. I’ve watched a few and on the whole he’s made things clearer but then I’m not sitting the exam.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Forgot to say that as I sometimes have to work with students who have a reduced timetable I can’t go in blind. Mr Bruff has been particularly useful for tackling unseen poetry.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD was just checking the AQA physics space topic and found this.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/p ... SPACE.DOCX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which has links to some sites including some YouTube videos.
I’m guessing for other physics topics and other subjects there will be similar documents for AQA and maybe other boards have similar.
Decisiontime639

2childmum wrote:DD uses a lot of online visual resources - being dyslexic this is much better for her than a textbook, where the energy needed to decode the text sometimes doesn't leave enough energy to actually get anything out of it!

The best resource we have found for science is my-gcse.com. The videos (which are powerpoints with a teacher's voice and added notes) are accompanied by printable sheets with the skeleton powerpoints on which the student can add to as they watch, and exam style questions and answers. But you have to pay for it and it may not seem worth it now - we have had it since last June and it has proved very useful. You can find some of the videos on youtube, but not the sheets to match. She also likes Doodlescience for Physics.

DD also did very well in English Literature having watch Mr Bruff videos on her books. Mr Salles also has some English stuff.

Mathsgenie is useful for maths - topics organised by grade with questions and mark schemes

Seneca is a fairly new resource - with some video or written resources, interspersed with questions to check understanding - it is supposed to adapt to your learning. Not all subjects are there, but there are sciences, including ones for the practicals and for equations in physics and chemistry, and also some English Literature ones which DD finds useful. It is still in beta phase and not always that easy to find your way around, but worth a hunt. Also has history and is promising others too

With all of them DD does stop and start them and take notes, so it's a bit more active than just staring at a screen

I am already looking for A level visual resources for DD - in chemistry and biology mainly, but also possible music
Really helpful ... thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now