Where to Live in Gloucester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
conroyiwhiwhu

Where to Live in Gloucester

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

**Reality Check**

I have come across mixed reviews about living in Gloucester (on metmums to be precise). So, I was wondering which areas are the best to live in Gloucester for someone attending grammar school? A

We currently live in Bristol area and will like to avoid long commute for DC starting in Septemeber at STR.

TIA 4looking.
Amber

Re: Where to Live in Gloucester

Post by Amber »

Oh wow.
You need to come and look! No one can possibly begin to answer this for you - only you know your budget, your work commitments, what type of house you want...
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Tommies is well placed for travelling from many areas as it's just off A40, so you could also look at Cheltenham and perhaps Tewkesbury. We're coming from Newent via Ribston which at 7.30am should take about 40 minutes by the time we've dropped his sister off. There are plenty of villages around and about too it depends on whether you are looking for rural or urban, although as you were talking about Gloucester I get the feeling it's urban that you're after. Is work a commuting factor?
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

Eromdap wrote:Tommies is well placed for travelling from many areas as it's just off A40, so you could also look at Cheltenham and perhaps Tewkesbury. We're coming from Newent via Ribston which at 7.30am should take about 40 minutes by the time we've dropped his sister off. There are plenty of villages around and about too it depends on whether you are looking for rural or urban, although as you were talking about Gloucester I get the feeling it's urban that you're after. Is work a commuting factor?
I am thinking more town e.g. Quedgeley than a city definitely, don't like a village. Ideally, I want DC commute to school to be 30 mins or less. Not prioritising own work arrangement/commute.
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

I'm confused, are you in Bristol or Birmingham? You appear to be posting about your son being on the waiting list for Handsworth Grammar on the Birmingham board.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Eromdap wrote:I'm confused, are you in Bristol or Birmingham? You appear to be posting about your son being on the waiting list for Handsworth Grammar on the Birmingham board.
And it says you have been allocated a comp...where does STR fit into this equation?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

If you are serious about moving to Gloucester...Hucclecote is a nice area...on number 10 bus route which is ideal for Ribston and Crypt. Some children including my dd travel to Stroud Grammars by bus too. Tommies and HSFG are the nearest grammar schools.

Good access to motorway network, local shopping, library and doctors and some very nice houses locally.
Last edited by DC17C on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

DC17C wrote:If you are serious about moving to Gloucester...Hucclecote is a nice area...on number 10 bus route which is ideal for Ribston and Crypt. Some children including my dd travel to Stroud Grammars by bus too. Tommies and HSFG are the nearest schools.
Good access to motorway network, local shopping, library and doctors and some very nice houses locally.
Cool beans...thanks.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Plenty of nice places to live in Gloucester & surroundings! Hucclecote, Elmbridge, Longlevens, Barnwood, Upton, Churchdown to name a few
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Amber wrote:
Eromdap wrote:I'm confused, are you in Bristol or Birmingham? You appear to be posting about your son being on the waiting list for Handsworth Grammar on the Birmingham board.
And it says you have been allocated a comp...where does STR fit into this equation?
I'm confused too as I was among your Handsworth discussion a few days ago.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now