Tommies uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eromdap

Tommies uniform

Post by Eromdap »

In the absence of a fb group for Tommies (I assume this will be set up in September) can someone help me with a couple of uniform queries.

1. The uniform checklist given at the blazer fitting there is no mention of football boots, is this an omission?
2. Do they really need white trainers for cricket or will their PE trainers suffice?
3. Do they need speedos as stated on school website or are swimming shorts the same as the trunks mentioned in the uniform checklist?
4. How particular are they about school shoes? The checklist mentions no boots, but due to ds’ odd feet he may end up with boots if nothing else will fit him.

The shoes thing is a nightmare for us as due to ds’ odd feet it took us 40 minutes to find a simple pair of trainers to fit last week, so not looking forward to buying more!
Amber

Re: Tommies uniform

Post by Amber »

No one wears the regulation swimming trunks after the first swimming lesson. Plain black long tight ones are what my two always wore.

I don't think your son will be allowed to wear boots.

Not sure about Facebook groups - not my scene and I don't know of any. Perhaps you should start one rather than assuming it 'will be set up' - I don't think the school is likely to do anything in that regard.

They don't play football so doubt they will need football boots. And I haven't ever bought any white trainers but if your son is in the cricket team he will probably want spikes. Given that they won't play cricket till the spring you have time to find out about that one.
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

My son is starting at Tommies in Sept so I'd be interested in joining a FB group (but have no idea how to set one up!)
At the blazer fitting we were told they needed black, grey or navy swimming trunks or shorts but that they needed to be tight fitting rather than beach style ones.
I was under the impression they would need rugby boots rather than football (but that some football boots are suitable depending on the studs) I guess we don't have to worry about cricket stuff until next year.
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Rugby boots aaaghh, having escaped buying football boots for ds for the last 2 years I hadn’t considered rugby boots, but these aren’t on the list either.

As for fb groups, the PA have set up groups for the current year 7 and year 8 parents last year and have suggested at a meeting last November that they will set one up for all new year 7 parents in the future. https://strschool.co.uk/parents/associa ... vember.pdf
Facebook for year 7 and 8 parents
Elisa had set up these two groups with additional administrators being CG, Dave Dempsey and Matt Hopton. The latter had been checked the people asking to join were parents. To date year 7 (2017 entry) group had 107 members and year
8 (2016 entry) had 81 members. The discussions had all been very positive. A new group would be set up for all new year 7 parents in future
PrinceOfPython

Post by PrinceOfPython »

There is a Facebook page:

sir thomas rich's school parent forum
conroyiwhiwhu

Post by conroyiwhiwhu »

Amber wrote:No one wears the regulation swimming trunks after the first swimming lesson. Plain black long tight ones are what my two always wore.

Not sure about Facebook groups - not my scene and I don't know of any. Perhaps you should start one rather than assuming it 'will be set up' - I don't think the school is likely to do anything in that regard.

They don't play football so doubt they will need football boots. And I haven't ever bought any white trainers but if your son is in the cricket team he will probably want spikes. Given that they won't play cricket till the spring you have time to find out about that one.
What? No footy at Tommies. Not good for DS.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

conroyiwhiwhu wrote:
Amber wrote:No one wears the regulation swimming trunks after the first swimming lesson. Plain black long tight ones are what my two always wore.

What? No footy at Tommies. Not good for DS.
So you'll move your entire family across the country, at the drop of a hat, to one of about three counties where your son mightget a place off the waiting list (no pressure on him, then, when you all move, if he hates it!), but football is the deal breaker?! You should have mentioned that on your other thread about where to move to - people could target your new house a bit better for you! :lol: :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

In all their many years of school between them, only one of ours has ever had swimming lessons through their school (DD sometime in KS2 during the 'have to be able to swim 25m by the end of year 6' phase - I think she had probably already got her 1000m badge by then, but hey-ho, it was time out of the classroom :lol: ), but they have all had lessons elsewhere since they were babies and the younger two are in the squad at a local-ish pool.

Presumably out of school football clubs are not that difficult to come by in Gloucester / Birmingham?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

ToadMum wrote:In all their many years of school between them, only one of ours has ever had swimming lessons through their school (DD sometime in KS2 during the 'have to be able to swim 25m by the end of year 6' phase - I think she had probably already got her 1000m badge by then, but hey-ho, it was time out of the classroom :lol: ), but they have all had lessons elsewhere since they were babies and the younger two are in the squad at a local-ish pool.

Presumably out of school football clubs are not that difficult to come by in Gloucester / Birmingham?
Things may have changed a bit since my attendance at Tommies but the pool held a special place in the history of the current site, iwas completely funded by parents but fell into disrepair in the 80s/so was not used for about a decade, a concerted effort by a few good people, plus a lot of fundraising got it back open inabout 95'ish. And it became a big part of the school life. Though I don't know what happens now - Tommies being quite a tradition oriented school I would suggest it's still an important part.
Other please correct me if I'm wrong
Flash

Post by Flash »

Ds is year 8 STR and has never played football. I was told rugby boots can be worn for football, but football boots can't be worn for rugby.

They make good use of the pool and so far ds has had half a term of swimming lessons each term in pe. He wears long tight black Speedos.

They can wear any colour trainers but must have white socks. Boys in the cricket teams probably have to wear appropriate footwear.