BV place offered and then wihdrawn

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jas18

BV place offered and then wihdrawn

Post by jas18 »

Hi all,
I would greatly appreciate any advice that anyone can offer me. My child sat the 11+, offered 2nd choice BV, received confirmation via email, confirmed via phone with LEA and with BV school.
I chased LEA 5 days later to find out where my child was on the WL for 1st choice and was told that no school offer had been awarded ! I was totally gob smacked. I was advised via phone by LEA that an error had been made. I had no school offer.

Any advice what I should do???
quasimodo

Re: BV place offered and then wihdrawn

Post by quasimodo »

Where is your son on the waiting list and what did he score ? What is your first choice ?
Last edited by quasimodo on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

OP, I am very sorry to hear this.

What did the LEA say when they spoke to you on the phone? Did they not set out any steps they would take to resolve your problem?

Do you know who made the mistake? As far as you are aware, did your DS meet the eligibility criteria for BV? Do you know what mistake is supposed to have been made - eg, that they did not receive your acceptance, or they should not have made the offer in the first place, or something else?

This must be very distressing for you and I hope it can be resolved quickly.
jas18

Post by jas18 »

Bv scored 204
QM 329
jas18

Post by jas18 »

49th would for QM as of today - 1st choice
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

jas18 wrote:Bv scored 204
QM 329
Did you apply under the Pupil Premium category? 204 appears to be the cut-off score for pupil premium applications, but is a long way short of the cut-off otherwise.

What has the LEA advised you to do about getting a place? They are obliged to offer you a school place of some sort, they can't just make a mistake and leave you without one, but they don't necessarily need to offer you a place at one of the schools you named on your CAF if your child doesn't meet the eligibility criteria.
um

Post by um »

This sounds very stressful.

At 204 I assume your child has Pupil Premium eligibility to have been offered the place.
Did Bishop Vesey send you a confirmation letter with the forms to hand in to confirm your place?
jas18

Post by jas18 »

Is there anyone that can help me in the appeals process please. I have two appeals to attend in May. My daughter is under the PPG, but by son has never claimed a free school meal
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

In the first instance, have you had a look at the Appeals section?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals

Did you discover what the error was that led to you being offered Bishop Vesey only to have the offer withdrawn?

Do you still have a place at the school you were originally offered?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

jas18 wrote:My appeal will be lodged due to my daughter been eligible under the ppg and that I have believe that my son should be aswell.

I am not sure what evidence to take with to the appeal.

My daughters school have provided a letter stating that she is a PPG student, my son's school have provided a letter stating that they believe that he would have been eligible due to the fact that my daughter was.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

My first choice was QM Boys

2nd BV -- place was withdrawn due to admin error
As ToadMum says above, you really need to put this thread on the appeals page as they are more qualified to assist you.