Warwickshire 11+ Issues

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Glenn0612

Warwickshire 11+ Issues

Post by Glenn0612 »

Hi to everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this topic, so please forgive me moderators and move as you wish.

There seems to have been a considerable amount of administrative errors made this year on admissions for GS's in Warwickshire.
I have had great sympathy (and still have) for all those who have been on both sides of the coin (places not given and places taken away). It must of been/is a truly awful situation to have be in.

I would like to hear from members, not so much about the errors that were made, but more on how to ensure they do not happen again to the extent they have done this year. It may be a little late for some this year, but It could help stop the anguish that a lot of people have had to suffer on this year's cycle.

A point I would like to make to start the ball rolling.

Snail Mail - Why?
In this day and age why do the LA rely on the postal service to deliver important documentation on requirements needed in order to comply with the admissions process (proof of address, etc). if they are to continue with this manner of delivery, surely it should at least be signed for?

Discuss.
WMMum

Re: Warwickshire 11+ Issues

Post by WMMum »

As a matter of clarification we were asked to email scanned copies of the proof of address and the original application process was also online. The only letters we received was the actual 11+ results, the letter asking for proof of address (which was also mentioned other places) and the letter stating what the AQS was for this year.
Glenn0612

Post by Glenn0612 »

WMMum wrote:As a matter of clarification we were asked to email scanned copies of the proof of address and the original application process was also online. The only letters we received was the actual 11+ results, the letter asking for proof of address (which was also mentioned other places) and the letter stating what the AQS was for this year.
Which in some cases the letters for proof of address were not delivered, thereby applications were marked late.

Something else that could also be looked into is you are only notified that your application will be marked late after it is to late to rectify any issues. In my opinion, all applicants that have not submitted by a said date (say 1 month prior to the closing date?) should be notified again that they have not done so.

This in my opinion is a particular procedure that should be looked into.
WMMum

Post by WMMum »

I agree it is not ideal as it was, however that proof of address was needed by 29th December for GS applications was mentioned in the green leaflet given to all children moving to secondary school named 'Apply for a secondary school place before 31 October 2017', it was also mentioned in the 11+ results letter, on WCC's website and on each of the individual schools' admissions criteria. For any parent on this forum, it was also discussed here. With finances as squeezed as they are I personally do not think 'signed for' postage would be warranted.

I know at least one parent on here who suggested ringing WCC to check that they had received the information and that it was correct and acceptable which you could do well before the deadline.

Personally I see bigger problems if they only used email as people change email addresses more frequently and the spam-mail box certainly picks up lots of emails in our house.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Glenn0612 wrote:Hi to everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this topic, so please forgive me moderators and move as you wish.

There seems to have been a considerable amount of administrative errors made this year on admissions for GS's in Warwickshire.
I have had great sympathy (and still have) for all those who have been on both sides of the coin (places not given and places taken away). It must of been/is a truly awful situation to have be in.

I would like to hear from members, not so much about the errors that were made, but more on how to ensure they do not happen again to the extent they have done this year. It may be a little late for some this year, but It could help stop the anguish that a lot of people have had to suffer on this year's cycle.

Snail Mail - Why?
In this day and age why do the LA rely on the postal service to deliver important documentation on requirements needed in order to comply with the admissions process (proof of address, etc). if they are to continue with this manner of delivery, surely it should at least be signed for?

Discuss.
What do you intend to do with this info? Are you liaising with WCC to see what changes they have already implemented? Is it just to rehash the (understandable) anguish or does this serve some practical purpose? I ask because I have spoken to some of the staff at WCC and know they are already doing things/identifying how to improve for next year so wonder if you are allied to them.

I do agree with WMMum though, the information was clearly on a number of different leaflets/websites etc and it is up to parents to ensure they read and adhere to those requirements - where people have not sent required information, I am sympathetic however, I am more sympathetic to those who had places withdrawn due to errors with county border cross information, out of the parental hands.
Glenn0612

Post by Glenn0612 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
Glenn0612 wrote:Hi to everyone,

Snail Mail - Why?

Discuss.
What do you intend to do with this info? Are you liaising with WCC to see what changes they have already implemented? Is it just to rehash the (understandable) anguish or does this serve some practical purpose? I ask because I have spoken to some of the staff at WCC and know they are already doing things/identifying how to improve for next year so wonder if you are allied to them.

I do agree with WMMum though, the information was clearly on a number of different leaflets/websites etc and it is up to parents to ensure they read and adhere to those requirements - where people have not sent required information, I am sympathetic however, I am more sympathetic to those who had places withdrawn due to errors with county border cross information, out of the parental hands.
I do not intend to do anything with any info. I am also not allied with WCC in any way or form and I most certainly did not rehash to cause further anguish. However, are we not allowed to debate how things could be improved?

If so, sorry that I have spoke out of turn and please delete.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Absolutely you are allowed to debate. However, your paragraph: “I would like to hear from members....suffer on this year’s cycle” reads as if you work with the Council and are intending to use the information you collect to change the system somehow/identify solutions that may not have been considered, hence my question.

You have now clarified that you just want people to talk about the errors, so, as you were.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Thanks KCG - I also thought this might have been a more formal request.

We did not have an issue this year but we did last year. We completed everything on time, when the offer came out we had been offered our second choice school (comp). When I received the scores letter I realised there was a problem. We are in Northants and I don't think the information had been passed properly between counties and it was resolved by WCC in about 10 days.
Moguie

Post by Moguie »

sportsforall wrote:Thanks KCG - I also thought this might have been a more formal request.

We did not have an issue this year but we did last year. We completed everything on time, when the offer came out we had been offered our second choice school (comp). When I received the scores letter I realised there was a problem. We are in Northants and I don't think the information had been passed properly between counties and it was resolved by WCC in about 10 days.
We had our first letter go missing

We were down as out of area on the paper work when we received it so I called up to correct it as I did not want to be further down the line having to correct it or have a place missed because of admin.

I emailed proof of address and accepted the email received confirmation email as proof of sending.

I sent 3 rather than 2 proof docs

I called them to say they had still got out of area when received 2nd letter (score letter)

Basically I read documents provided , noted deadlines and dates when letters should arrive at home by and absorbed a lot if info off here to keep me in check.

I think that for future people going through the process need to be more conscious of what is required and when. Council probably aren't going to dramatically change and so parents are going to have to be on the ball more!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now