State primaries around Cheltenham/Gloucester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Choppy

State primaries around Cheltenham/Gloucester

Post by Choppy »

Shy and anxious newbie here, requesting kid gloves!
Next year we're relocating due to work; hopefully to somewhere equidistant from Chelt/Glos, i.e. Churchdown, Brockworth, Shurdington, Witcombes? etc.
I'm told that (a) Glos grammars are v hard to get into - noted, and that (b) state primaries aren't allowed to prep pupils for the grammar 11+. That said, can anyone recommend a large primary school that regularly sends a couple of girls to HSFG, SHS, Pate's or Ribston? DDs is an only child; I'm keen to minimise social isolation and sense of dislocation. The guilt's already killing me! (I gather The Richard Pate School is excellent but we can't afford it).
Thank you.
Watermelon8

Re: State primaries around Cheltenham/Gloucester

Post by Watermelon8 »

Elmbridge & Longlevens are both big schools where lots go to grammar every year.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Richard Pate is not everyone's cup of tea. Marmite. So don't worry about not being able to afford it - it may not have suited your daughter anyway.

The grammar schools are not hard to get into. Pates is hard to get into. The others, for a well-motivated child who has been adequately prepared, are not so hard (STR maybe slightly moreso, but you have a girl so that won't be an issue). If you want your daughter to go to one she is going to need tutoring in Y5 for a few months, regardless of which primary you choose. If I were you I would be looking closely at the non-grammar catchments in the areas you are considering, in case she turns out not to be suited to preparing for grammar or in case you don't like the GS she passes for (all these schools are very different and also geographically not too close). I am out of touch with these schools now but suggest Churchdown is probably a good bet as you have two secondary schools there, at least one of which is usually doing pretty well. You are also close to both Cheltenham and Gloucester and I think the primary schools are good. Hucclecote is another one which comes to mind.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

In terms of isolation though, I wouldn’t worry at all. Every year, lots & lots go to grammar not knowing anyone & a few of the grammars prefer to split children up unless requested not too. IMO it’s far easier to make friends when you go not knowing anyone or just a few. Often if you know lots from primary, it can be detrimental as historical issues remain. Hope that helps. 2 of mine have gone to gs knowing 1 or 2 (but not friends with them particularly) 1 starts in sept & won’t have friends going. It’s really not a big issue :)
Flash

Post by Flash »

Leckhampton Primary School is very good. My two went there and now go to hsfg and str. Other good schools in Cheltenham are St James, Naunton Park, Warden Hill, Charlton Kings.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Wow, thanks so much for the useful information and reassuring words. Panic's subsiding..
I'm an ex GS girl myself (Bucks) but that was a loooooong time ago.
Amber - I'm very mindful of the non-GS catchment, too. Can't afford Balcarras/Charlton Kings bunfight, but liking the look of Churchdown.
Thanks again!
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

Don't forget you have Crypt as an option for girl too, going co-ed this year and I suspect next year will be more popular with girls once this year is established.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hucclecote primaries are pretty good and you are on no 10 bus route which is great for a number of the grammars
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now