Windrush

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Windrush

Post by Daogroupie »

My brother's father in law came over on the Windrush. Invited to come to this country and contribute to post war rebuilding he was really proud of being on that first ship and I am so glad he is not alive today to experience this very shameful situation.

At last the disgraceful way the children of these British passport holders are being treated is finally getting the press coverage it deserves. It is really shocking that they have been kicked out of their jobs and been forced to pay for their own healthcare.

Worse of all they have been told they will have to go back to a country they have never been to and have no ties with and leave all their family here.

I have been following this story for some time with absolute disbelief so finally the cold light of reason has appeared hopefully officially restoring all the rights that should have automatically been theirs from the minute they arrived on British soil. DG
mystery

Re: Windrush

Post by mystery »

It's horrible. I hope that all the problems it has so far caused can somehow be quickly undone. I also hope that it was just blind bureaucracy - bad as that is.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

And to think, it was strong And stable that played a massive part in it
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep -- she seems to have changed. Couldn't imagine her apologising with a smile a couple of years back. I suppose anything makes a change from working on Brexit.
piggys

Post by piggys »

It's not merely blind beaurocracy. It is incompetence mixed with inherent racism. IMO.

You think Theresa may is a nice old thing? you do realise this is the woman who fought with the Met against a High Court ruling in 2014 which found that the Met had breached two women's human rights in their bungling of the Worboys case. Have a little read up of it and see what the nice Mrs May did to stop those women from pursuing justice and it'll make you sick.

Amber Rudd should be sacked. She is outrageous. She actually said that the rising crime rates in London are nothing to do with reduced police numbers - even though a report leaked FROM HER OWN DEPARTMENT said they were linked. Well, she'd have to wouldn't she? She doesn't even know whether or not any Windrush immigrants have been illegally deported - she doesn't know. Why hasn't she resigned in shame?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry I was not clear - I don't think she's a nice old thing. I was being rather cynical!

I agree that your analysis is quite a likely one --- I said I hoped it was blind bureaucracy.
piggys

Post by piggys »

And the only reason for the volte face is because the Guardian pursued this issue like a terrier. As recently as a matter of weeks ago, no 10 was still REFUSING to meet with any Windrush family members despite the evidence that several of them had lost their jobs, been put in detention centres and far worse. TM is only smiling and saying sorry because she was forced in to it by the journalists. They are vile and venal, the lot of them.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I'm not having a go at you mystery; unfortunately I am not able to tell Rudd or May what I think of them to their faces- because I would dearly love to.
If only Rudd could slink off to the Caymens or wherever all her family money is hidden for tax avoidance reasons. And b****y stay there. Forever.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes. It shouldn't have to be newspapers that pursue justice but unfortunately it seems to have to be.

She (May) changed visibly when she got into power. Seems to animate her. Worrying.

Amber Rudd -- this still makes me worry - the original announcement I mean, not the plans to scrap the peculiar idea:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -abandoned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I liked David Lammy's speech yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/theipaper/vide ... id%20lammy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the moment it does seem to be the media that is pursuing justice instead of those in power.
Some of the stuff going on in the NHS is so scary at the moment but probably deserves its own post.

Rudd is awful. Johnson and Hunt are awful. The only front bencher who seemed as though she might have had a shred of decency was sacked in the last reshuffle. Sad days.
And still they got elected.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now