Secondary non selective schools between Tonbridge and TW

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bish_6

Secondary non selective schools between Tonbridge and TW

Post by bish_6 »

Hi everyone, I'm totally new to this forum, but desperately in need of some advice. My family and I are relocating to tonbridge/Tunbridge wells in the next few months. Exact location is not 100% set in stone but we are hoping to be located mid way between Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells near the A26. I am not familiar with the area at all and I have a son due to start secondary school September 2019. He is unlikely to pass the Kent test so I have decided not to put him in for it at all. So - to me it looks as though Hayesbrook school would be our best bet on location and travel options. Does anybody know anything about it/any personal reviews or recommendations?? Or should we be looking elsewhere? We are not limited to this particular house and could change to a different house within that kind of area or out towards tudeley. Our son is not the most confident of kids and I'm aware the relocation is going to be a big enough challenge for him. Obviously we are booked in for a tour etc but thought a few personal thoughts may well help us to make the right decision!

Thankyou all for reading!
Sorrel

Re: Secondary non selective schools between Tonbridge and TW

Post by Sorrel »

There do seem to be issues with non selective school places in Tunbridge Wells, especially where children don't qualify for a faith school. If you try googling 'oversubscription kent non selective schools' and have a look at the top article, hopefully that will help with pointers.
bish_6

Post by bish_6 »

Thank you so much for this info!
Am I reading this right that I might end up doing a 30 mile round trip to get him to school!?
Gosh!!!!! The house we are interested in is around 2 miles from Hayesbrook. Will that have an effect? I'm very familiar with the primary allocation system etc.. but secondary (and tonbridge/Tunbridge wells) seems like it's a total new ball game?!
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Hopefully someone with more local knowledge than me can help - I don't know anything beyond that article, sorry. Hope you find a house you like which is safe for a catchment area. Tonbridge is a very nice town and cheaper than T Wells.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Just to add that this folder is a bit quiet at the moment because the 2nd round of offers for Kent schools doesn't happen till next week (letters posted Wed). From Thursday next week you might get a lot more Kent people visiting with advice! Best of luck.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi bish, welcome to the forum. Please don't worry Kent isn't that scary (honest) and there's lots of us that can help you.

Non-selective boys schools /co-ed schools in the Tonbridge /TW area are:

Hayesbrook
Skinners' Kent Academy
Bennett Memorial - church school
St Gregory's - church school
Mascalls - Paddock Wood
Hugh Christie

Then there's Knole Academy and Trinity (church school) if you decide to come nearer Sevenoaks.

I'm sure I must have forgotten a couple so this link may be useful if you haven't settled on a house yet:

http://webapps.kent.gov.uk/KCC.SchoolSe ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for getting to school, West Kent children are very used to using the buses and trains, huge numbers do it so your DS won't be alone and KCC operate a very reasonably priced bus pass scheme.

Good luck with your search and if you need anything else I'm sure somebody will be able to help.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
msg_1979

Post by msg_1979 »

Mascalls in Paddock Wood is definitely worth considering - excellent exam results given the fact that grammar schools take the most able students and is mixed which may appeal over single sex? I hear nothing but glowing praise from parents of pupils there and there is a lot of choice in courses and great facilities. Paddock wood and surrounding villages also worth considering for housing - trains to london direct from paddock wood and good transport links to a21 / a228
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

My son sat 11+ at Mascalls and it did seem a really attractive setting (right on the edge of the village with lots of fields) and building. Close to Tonbridge too.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I don't know why, but Hayesbrook seems to be out of favour at the moment and tends to be undersubscribed. You might want to do some research on why. On the other hand Skinners Kent Academy is very popular ( having not been so before it took on Academy status a few years ago and had a lot of money invested in it). You might want to see how far out places for Skinners Kent Academy went in recent years. Btw, don't confuse Skinners Kent Academy with Skinners which is a grammar school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Skinners Kent academy is popular because it gets some very good grades for its children doesn't it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now