Mock exam paper?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kg309

Mock exam paper?

Post by kg309 »

Hi all,

firstly can i apologise in advance if this isn't allowed.

My third child is currently working towards the September 11+. I have used a few different tutors over the years with my other children and have entered them for a variety of different mock exams at different mock centres. Each one has been with CSSE style papers.

I paid for my daughter to attend a mock exam over Easter at her tutor and I thought it would be a CSSE style exam. When she came out she told me it had infact been an old past paper which she had sat which frustratingly we had already gone over as I had purchased it for one of my other children.

She didn't disclose to the tutor that she had already seen the paper at home so now I have to go into the tutor next week and explain she had in effect memorised a number of answers giving the impression she had got a better score than in reality she would have got if it was all new to her.

Do you think I should have been told before that it was an actual paper rather than a CSSE style paper? I realise it was wrong of me to assume that it would be but my previous tutors all used their own papers and then tended to suggest using the past papers at home for additional support. I guess I just felt it meant all I had really paid for was a quiet environment and someone to mark it as the mock was considerably more expensive than the paper. I don't have any issue with them doing actual past papers but if I had known before hand I wouldn't have entered her for it.

Just wondering if other local mock tests use CSSE papers and if so could you PM me who does so I know who not to use? I have every past paper (I think) from 2012 and have a few going back to 2006 so would rather not spend money doing the same papers again!

Again, apologies if this isn't allowed and please delete.

Thanks,
KG309
rochika_agrawal

Re: Mock exam paper?

Post by rochika_agrawal »

Hi,
I had faced the same problem where the tuition center has used a GL assessment paper as a mock test paper. When my daughter told me (after her mock test), I emailed the organizers and had asked for the full refund. Luckily, I got the refund back as I was not happy to pay for what they have done.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Ask for a refund and explain to her clearly that a Mock is a session that you pay for when the mock company use a paper that is not available to buy.

For your tutor to charge more money and just use a past paper that CSSE sell is totally unacceptable and as a tutor they should be well aware of that.

Is there some reason that you have used different tutors and not stuck to the tutor that you used for your eldest dc. DG
kg309

Post by kg309 »

My eldest did well at his tutor but the style of learning didn't suit my middle daughter so she went elsewhere. When we chose a tutor for our third child we had moved and selected a tutor close to our new home based on previous recommendations from my mum who had worked with the owner in previous years. I have now discovered that the original owner sold up in January to the current owner (who tutors my daughter) but we were not informed! It was only when my mum took my daughter in for the mock and asked to speak to the person she believed to own the tutor centre that we were told they were no longer there!

We did approach them regarding the paper and they simply gave us another CSSE paper for my daughter to complete at home, which frustratingly I have also got a copy of!

She is so close to the end of her 11+ preparation that I'm loath to change her now, particularly as I'm already paid up in full.
Aghh I will be so glad when she is finished and the 11+ will be over in our home!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You must insist on a full refund as the mock was a complete waste of time for your dd.

How is the mock advertised?

Did the new tutor take over the name of the old tutor centre?

There is no need to move tutors if you are happy with all aspects of the tutor centre but you really cannot let her get away with this. Experienced parents like you need to help protect other new parents who are also being cheated by this.

I am sure with three dcs going through this other parents must come to you for advice. Tell your tutor you will be unable to recommend her unless she stops doing this and gives you a full refund.

Parent references are the lifeblood of any tutor so she would be very foolish to lose that over this one mock. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now