Choosing a suitable independent School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Inner Chimp

Choosing a suitable independent School

Post by Inner Chimp »

If DD doesn’t get into grammars we would be looking at private schools around Birmingham. I would be grateful for input in what EHS, The Priory School and KES are like. I appreciate we would need to see the schools to get a feel for them. Whilst my DD is academic she is a soft soul and I do worry about the push on academic results with EHS and KES compared to The Priory. Given they all charge similar amounts any views would be welcomed!
crazycrofter

Re: Choosing a suitable independent School

Post by crazycrofter »

My daughter is at KEHS and she loves it there. I certainly don’t see a huge amount of pressure. To be honest, I think the grammars (and state schools in general) are more pressured with all their testing, target grades, obsession with attendance etc. Before the exam week the school always sends out a letter to parents reminding us not to put too much pressure on the girls! It’s a very friendly and gentle school in my opinion but others may have a different experience.

I’d look round the schools, let her take the tests if she likes them and then see what you get offered - grammars and independents.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have you not missed the entrance exams for all of these? I thought your daughter was applying to the grammar schools for entry September this year, or are you just preparing to take the 11+?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

My understanding is OP is prepping for this September's exam.

Like crazycrofter, my impression is KEHS is far less pressured than the grammars although some departments/teachers are more heavy handed than others and the school is fairly clueless about exam timetabling (i.e. no point sending out a letter telling pupils to "relax" over Christmas holidays if you've scheduled mock exams for the first day back! Left hand, meet right hand - I don't think you two know each other? Not to mention scheduling internal exams two weeks before externals - brilliant idea!). Overall, though, I'd say it's a very warm, supportive, encouraging environment.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I'm not familiar with the schools, but given that you are in Halesowen, have you also considered Wolverhampton Grammar or Old Swinford?

I don't know how they compare with KES.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Have you not missed the entrance exams for all of these? I thought your daughter was applying to the grammar schools for entry September this year, or are you just preparing to take the 11+?
?? I’m not sure where you got that impression from. Dd will sit the test this sept ready for next sept entry.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Ricky74 wrote:I'm not familiar with the schools, but given that you are in Halesowen, have you also considered Wolverhampton Grammar or Old Swinford?

I don't know how they compare with KES.
Hi I think Wolverhampton would be too far but yes we are considering other options.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

mike1880 wrote:My understanding is OP is prepping for this September's exam.

Like crazycrofter, my impression is KEHS is far less pressured than the grammars although some departments/teachers are more heavy handed than others and the school is fairly clueless about exam timetabling (i.e. no point sending out a letter telling pupils to "relax" over Christmas holidays if you've scheduled mock exams for the first day back! Left hand, meet right hand - I don't think you two know each other? Not to mention scheduling internal exams two weeks before externals - brilliant idea!). Overall, though, I'd say it's a very warm, supportive, encouraging environment.

Lol yes I see what you mean
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

My DD started KEHS last sept so is in Yr7. Whilst she's not been in the school long she's certainly not felt any pressure. She doesn't really seem to have much homework apart from the first few weeks when she started but then it seemed to eased off a lot. Her grandad died within the first week of her starting in the school and I received an email from the school expressing their condolences to myself but also reassuring that they would keep an eye on DD.
For yr 7's this year they have decided not to do end of year exams to ease pressure and instead have been having mini tests along the way. There seems to be a lot of thought going into there being less pressure and my DD is certainly very happy there
Silent House

Post by Silent House »

Edgbaston High School for Girls
Dr Weeks has been at the helm for several years now. This is a good school with a caring ambiance. It is less academic compared to KEHS but academic enough. In a minority of cases you hear grumblings about bitchiness and some kids wanting to move on but by and large, I get the impression, the school does a decent job of trying to address pastoral issues. There is a perception that the sixth form is not as strong as the lower school but this could simply be some students/families feeling that their career aspirations are not being taken seriously. Alternatively, it could be that the school makes the assumption that all girls staying on within the sixth form instantly over the summer holidays develop the independent study skills expected of them without realising that many girls still need support in developing these skills. If so, this could be relevant to several schools in the area.

The Priory School
Thank goodness, you have not mentioned St Georges’ School. The Priory is a better option. Pupil behaviour is better and pastoral care is there. The biggest criticism levelled at the Priory is the lack of academic push given to pupils. It is possible to strike a balance between being caring and ambitious and maybe the Priory has yet to find this cultural bliss. That said, you could do a lot worse and the head runs a steady if not quite spectacular ship.

KEHS
With both KEHS and its boy’s equivalent of KES, your children will attend the prestige independent schools in Birmingham. KEHS is smaller than the boys school and is perhaps even tougher to get into as a result. Moreover, it avoids the dilemma that KES provides in the sixth form by offering A levels instead of the IB. Some rumours that it can be a pressurised environment but most girls appear to cope. The school is going through an adjustment phase after the retirement of the former head Sarah Evans. I guess the biggest advantage of sending children to KEHS or KES is how polished they become socially – these schools give a real head start not just academically but also professionally. That said, your daughter should undertake a taster day at any school you are considering. Don’t be discouraged by an admissions officer saying it is not possible, KESH might not be right even though out of the three you mention I think it is the best it might not be the best for your child if you get my drift.
Other independent schools to consider are:
Solihull School and Bromsgrove School. More than happy to share my views on these too, just let me know.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now