How Independent are the Appeals panel?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NoBigDeal1

How Independent are the Appeals panel?

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

If the Head Teacher of the school is on the Appeals panel stating why they can't offer your child a place as they are over subscribed. But they have promised a place to another student 'off the record' how independent is the process really? Surely they will influence the panel?
ToadMum

Re: How Independent are the Appeals panel?

Post by ToadMum »

NoBigDeal1 wrote:If the Head Teacher of the school is on the Appeals panel stating why they can't offer your child a place as they are over subscribed. But they have promised a place to another student 'off the record' how independent is the process really? Surely they will influence the panel?
The HT cannot be on the panel!!!

The role of the HT, or whoever is representing the admission authority (in this case, presumably the school in question is an academy?) is to present the school's case to the panel for not admitting the appellant(s); just as you, as the parent, are there to present your DC's case - to the panel - for being given a place at the school.

With your paperwork from the clerk to the IAP, you should have the names of the members of the panel (usually 3 - the Chair, one listed as 'Education' and the third as 'Lay', plus the name of the clerk and possibly - but not always in advance - the name of the school representative.

The head teacher of the school in question categorically should not be listed as a member of the panel itself.
Last edited by ToadMum on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

No I worded that wrong I meant they are defending schools case but surely they will be in the room alone with panel at some point surely they could say something?!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Though one assumes that if such a thing has indeed happened and the HT has behaved so unprofessionally as to offer a place on the quiet, then the HT could indicate to the panel that s/he wasn't too worried about going over PAN for that particular child. Doesn't sound great - can you get some evidence of this (not sure how, short of secret voice recordings, but still)?

The HT should never be alone with the panel. That would be a breach of the rules. And unless the panel were also all very unprofessional they would not give in to such pressure anyway.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

yes Amber that's how I was thinking it might affect things. Or perhaps a different line of questioning for that individual student offered place behind the scenes. Just seems odd.Parents of child concerned have told other parents that is what they have been told.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

NoBigDeal1 wrote:yes Amber that's how I was thinking it might affect things. Or perhaps a different line of questioning for that individual student offered place behind the scenes. Just seems odd.Parents of child concerned have told other parents that is what they have been told.
They can't offer places behind the scenes,they have to follow the rules! Maybe the parent is hoping to put other people off appealing?
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Either both parties must be together in the room with the panel, or neither. Obviously, an exception to this is when one side has opted to submit a written case only (usually the parent, but occasionally the school :shock: ), but even then, the 'side' present must not be in the room with the panel without the clerk also being present.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I can think of a situation where three places were offered before appeal because admission rules had been applied incorrectly. Of course this made appeals harder to win as no 'wrong' offers were withdrawn.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

NoBigDeal1 wrote:Parents of child concerned have told other parents that is what they have been told.
Oh, if I only had a pound for every time I've heard such claims made by parents!

Parents will spin anything and everything to suggest preferential treatment/a "back door" of some sort that is unknown or unavailable to others because their own child is "special": admissions, appeals, exam access arrangements, sports team membership, you name it; I think we've seen it all on here at one time or another.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now