Walsall transport from Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nervousparent

Walsall transport from Birmingham

Post by Nervousparent »

Hi I was wondering is there any parent whose daughter got into queen mary’s High school and is from south Birmingham . As my daughter did and was wondering if anyone wanted to car share or have the girls travelling g together on public transport. Any response would be highly appreciated as I am very anxious and so is my daughter to travel alone . Thanx
um

Re: Walsall transport from Birmingham

Post by um »

I have heard of a car share to QMGS from Hall Green but don't have further details unfortunately.
The school may have more info?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You've got a few months to get your DD used to the journey. Has her primary school got any inset days this term? That would be a good time to take her on whatever form(s) of public transport she will be taking, at the right time of day, as she will be able to see how busy the buses / trains are and the other school pupil who travel on when.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
yasirkhan65

Post by yasirkhan65 »

Hello there

Our daughter has also managed to obtain a place at Queen Mary's Walsall. We live in South Yardley and are looking to share the journey with anyone. Can anyone help please?

Thank you
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Nervousparent wrote:Hi I was wondering is there any parent whose daughter got into queen mary’s High school and is from south Birmingham . As my daughter did and was wondering if anyone wanted to car share or have the girls travelling g together on public transport. Any response would be highly appreciated as I am very anxious and so is my daughter to travel alone . Thanx
Whereabouts in south Birmingham do you live? Are you near the train line?

When my daughter started at KEHS we lived in Walsall and she did the journey your daughter would have in reverse. I was surprised how easy it is. From south Birmingham you get on at one of the cross city stations (Selly Oak, Bournville etc) and get off at Aston. The train to Walsall goes from the same platform so you just need to hop on the next train to Walsall from Aston. The walk from Walsall station to QM is about 10-15 mins. It’s a busy route through the town centre and there will be other girls doing it.

We really worried about it but dd was fine. She managed it on her own from day 2 and a couple of weeks later she was also doing the last leg on her own - Walsall to our home by local bus.

My son is at HGS and we are now in south Birmingham. We were less confident about him managing a bus or train change so he did the green bus. Since January he’s started doing two public buses some days and he’s managed fine too. They really grow up quickly in year 7! They have their phones too - I had a few calls from both of them early on and I was able to guide them where to go/what to do. You can always accompany her on the train initially. That might be better than driving as it will build her confidence up to do it independently.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

At the risk of making you even more nervous, Nervousparent, you need to seriously consider the safety aspect of asking people, who you do not know, on a public forum, if they would like to do a car share with you for your DD. Very different gettting in an arrangement with someone once you know them well, but just having a link of the same school but not knowing the person, needs to be thought through. Look at the following checklist:

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?

Public transport sounds scary when your child is in Y6 and currently relies on you to provide their world. Very few Y7s are dropped off/picked up daily at the school gate and most children are, I hate to say it, embarrassed to be seen with parents! Most Y7s want their independence pretty quickly too, to meet their friends in town, or even the fun of catchin up on the bus/train. You have lots of time over the summer and in inset days and induction days to get used to the public transport options - which will also give you more freedom if she wants to stay behind at school etc too.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

crazycrofter wrote:
Nervousparent wrote:Hi I was wondering is there any parent whose daughter got into queen mary’s High school and is from south Birmingham . As my daughter did and was wondering if anyone wanted to car share or have the girls travelling g together on public transport. Any response would be highly appreciated as I am very anxious and so is my daughter to travel alone . Thanx
Whereabouts in south Birmingham do you live? Are you near the train line?

When my daughter started at KEHS we lived in Walsall and she did the journey your daughter would have in reverse. I was surprised how easy it is. From south Birmingham you get on at one of the cross city stations (Selly Oak, Bournville etc) and get off at Aston. The train to Walsall goes from the same platform so you just need to hop on the next train to Walsall from Aston. The walk from Walsall station to QM is about 10-15 mins. It’s a busy route through the town centre and there will be other girls doing it.

We really worried about it but dd was fine. She managed it on her own from day 2 and a couple of weeks later she was also doing the last leg on her own - Walsall to our home by local bus.

My son is at HGS and we are now in south Birmingham. We were less confident about him managing a bus or train change so he did the green bus. Since January he’s started doing two public buses some days and he’s managed fine too. They really grow up quickly in year 7! They have their phones too - I had a few calls from both of them early on and I was able to guide them where to go/what to do. You can always accompany her on the train initially. That might be better than driving as it will build her confidence up to do it independently.
I would agree if you can do it by rail it is a really good option and the best option.As we don't know which part of Birmingham your dd needs to travel from the green bus may be an option.The 851 begins and ends at the White Swan in Edgbaston Birmingham at 7.00 and 17.33.

https://www.thegreenbus.co.uk/bus_servi ... 851/17-18/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My eldest was doing the journey in reverse by public transport from Walsall to Solihull for a number of weeks before her project changed a few weeks back.Her route was the X51 bus from Walsall into the centre of Birmingham and then a short walk to Moor Street Station to catch the train. ( The bus station in Walsall is a walk of about 10 minutes to QMHS.)
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

Hi

If she can get into Birmingham city centre for 7:30 7:45 the X51 is full of girls going to queen Mary's this is an express service so takes about 25 mins to Walsall

These are new buses with Wi-Fi and very civilised.
Nervousparent

Post by Nervousparent »

Hi thank you sooo much for all your responses . I feel much better after reading all the texts, we leave in south yardley. I really appreciate the response from kenyancowgirl about the checklist for car sharing that was an eye opener , it’s true need to know an individual very well before we can entrust them with our children. I will try the bus journey and the train . Really appreciate everyone’s response thank you.sorry to ask but Just out of interest kenyancowgirl are u from Kenya?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Many moons ago....!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now