LSS appeal next 8th May

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

federusa

LSS appeal next 8th May

Post by federusa »

Hi anyone attending the appeal for LSS

I believe I have quite some information in order to seriously probe the Committee didn't apply the Admission Policy (This is valid also for RHS)

Please get in contact asap and I can start discussing!

Regards
ToadMum

Re: LSS appeal next 8th May

Post by ToadMum »

If you have information pertinent to all appellants (not just your own case), then you should raise it during the first part of the appeal, so that all parties hear the points that you are raising.

I assume that you will be doing this, anyway :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
federusa

Post by federusa »

Because I don't have this year results yet, I worked out, following the Admission Policy for RHS, LSS and Ashlawn, the AQS for year 2016.

Bear in mind that for this year only 10 (LSS) and 8 (RHS) admissions were from outside PA.

I got copy of all the results from FOI (WCC website) for sept 2005 test (2016 admission)

https://warwickshireportal.icasework.co ... D%3D%7E%21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In descendent order, the first 276 (PAN of all the Eastern Area), the lowest score is either 201 or 202, pushing a 203. Nevertheless, for that year the AQS applied for Priority Area Category was for each case:

RHS 205 (!)
LSS 207 (!)
Ashlawn 203 (!)

Finally if for this year I decide to arbitrary move my AQS to 210 for RHS and LSS amaizingly only 67 aplications would have made it from within the priority circle plus a surplus from the Eastern Area (after filling category 2) of 51 made a total of 118. Take the 36 places from Ashlawn and suddenly you will have left with only 82 students to fill category 4. Guess how many you have for this year? 78!!! Very close call.

I really hope I can get the results asap for this year and then share the results with you all!!

Regards
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

I am trying to decode this - the link isn't working for me to the results.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

federusa wrote: In descendent order, the first 276 (PAN of all the Eastern Area), the lowest score is either 201 or 202, pushing a 203. Nevertheless, for that year the AQS applied for Priority Area Category was for each case:

RHS 205 (!)
LSS 207 (!)
Ashlawn 203 (!)
Are you suggesting that the AQS was set too high?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think that is the intimation. I am not as familiar with the North, but the Southern Area set the AQS after the results which means if generally the scores are higher, the AQS goes up. The North is usually lower than the South, but each year, numbers taking the exam go up and possibly there has been more targetted applications in the North - meaning people are preparing for, sitting and achieving in the North, pushing the scores up (or it was a slightly easier test than last year), which is turn pushes the AQS up.

I might be missing something (or a lot), but I don't see that this is not applying the Admission Policy....
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Might they argue the AQS is set based on this:
120 LSS
120 RHS
36 Ash
Total 276 - places in category 2 (which I believe is 20 in RHS case so possibly 50 altogether)

AQS then set on the top 226 of places which would bring the score to around 208.
federusa

Post by federusa »

Even taken the 20 from RHS the minimum AQS will be 206 (For year 2016)

I got the memo from the Committee meeting and they don't said how the number is obtain. Intriguing the Committee indicate for the 210 score how many of each category they are expecting (Even a note saying the outside area should have a minimum of 26!!).

The Committee should not know applicants or preferences. Nevertheless the notes mention preferences grades for waiting list (?!?)

There is a note about 13 boys not complying with residence and send to WL march. Clearly indicating they have been considered in the pool at the moment of AQS!!

The rules are clear: first 276 top scores in descending order of pupils inside the PA will determine the AQS. Black and white

They are in fault.
federusa

Post by federusa »

What is the reason of the appeal?

Committee should consider the descendant test scores of students within the PA to fill as close as possible the PAN. This will be the AQS.

Please read the Admission Policy it is in black and white!

You can argue that 1 point up or down will take into account 270 o 265 students, but never as many as 49!!

The process should be clear, accountable and repetitive so we can expect similar results. For all we known so far they sit and they agree the number.

Question: If they have friends, family applicants and they know the area they apply, they know how much to move the AQS to favour them......
Clarity and accountability is the name of the game.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It is not "just" the top 276, according to the LSS admissions...

The Role of the Committee of Reference
The Eastern Area Committee of Reference sets the Automatic Qualifying Score taking account of the applications for the individual schools and the number of places available. The Committee of Reference is a panel of Headteachers and teachers appointed according to terms of reference. The Heads of the selective schools in East Warwickshire or their representatives will be members of the Committee. The Committee also reviews the arrangements for any children with disabilities or Special Educational Needs.
Automatic Qualifying Score
Performance in the entrance test and the number of applications for the schools will be used by the Committee of Reference in each area to set the Automatic Qualifying Score. Above and at that standard a child will receive an offer from their highest named preference of selective school (subject to a place being available under the oversubscription criteria, and not being a late entry or having an offer from a higher preference of school).
The Committee will consider the descending score order and the number of children applying for each school (living within the priority areas and who registered before the closing date) and set the Automatic Qualifying Score as close to the planned admission numbers for the schools as possible.
The Committee will also consider the scores of children just below the Automatic Qualifying Score and determine for each school the minimum score for the waiting list for that year.
All applications are considered against the oversubscription criteria, no special consideration will be given in the case of siblings.8

There is also the Pupil Premium places which can be 20 points below the AQS...so it is not a clear first 276, if you see what I mean? I haven't got time to look at RHS sorry...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now