New Ribston head

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Skip

New Ribston head

Post by Skip »

Hi All,

I went to the Ribston Open day today and both myself and DD really liked it. Obviously you never can get a complete picture of what a school is like but I'd be interested if parents, with children already at Ribston, could give any info on what is known about the new Headteacher? Why she was selected for instance? Unfortunately whilst she was at the Open day she didn't speak at the start and I had to go before I got the chance to speak to her.
kenyancowgirl

Re: New Ribston head

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Skip wrote:Hi All,

I went to the Ribston Open day today and both myself and DD really liked it. Obviously you never can get a complete picture of what a school is like but I'd be interested if parents, with children already at Ribston, could give any info on what is known about the new Headteacher? Why she was selected for instance? Unfortunately whilst she was at the Open day she didn't speak at the start and I had to go before I got the chance to speak to her.
Assumedly because she was the best applicant (and interviewee) for the job!! :shock:
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

I was at the open day too and was quite disappointed not to hear the new head speak. I thought she would at least have introduced herself?
Skip

Post by Skip »

Thanks for the patronising comment cowgirl. :roll:

Presumably there are actual reasons why the new head was successful in being offered the post, rather than other candidates. This may have been communicated to existing Ribston parents? If so I'd be interested to know more.

Rachm82 I wondered if the existing headmistress made a mistake not giving her a chance to speak because the Year 8's were waiting to take people around the school. It was a bit odd but not necessarily the new heads fault? Who knows!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Skip wrote:Thanks for the patronising comment cowgirl.

Presumably there are actual reasons why the new head was selected which may have been communicated to existing Ribston parents? If so I'd be interested to know more.
Perhaps there were - but seriously, KCG's response ya hardly out of the way. Possibly it was not your intent, but the way that you posed the question obviously came across to at least two of us as if you perhaps though that there was some reason why this particular person should not have been appointed?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Skip

Post by Skip »

I think it's clear in my original post that I don't know anything about the new head at all. I didn't imply anything in how I posed the question. That being said, if it was taken that way KCG could have politely asked / clarified.
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

Presumably there are actual reasons why the new head was selected which may have been communicated to existing Ribston parents?
Very unlikely - only the Governing body will know why they selected her and are unlikely to share.

I speak as someone who in the last 18 months alone has had a peripheral role in interview and question panels for new Principals/Heads and has subsequently written press and website announcements on their appointments.

Your standard stuff is " X was previously in X job role at X and Y. S/he brings with him/her a wealth of experience in blah, blah, blah" plus quote from Chair of Governors on how rigorous the interview process was and how delighted they are that X has been appointed plus quote from successful appointee about how delighted they are to be joining the educational establishment and look forward to continuing its success.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Skip wrote:I think it's clear in my original post that I don't know anything about the new head at all. I didn't imply anything in how I posed the question. That being said, if it was taken that way KCG could have politely asked / clarified.
You may not have thought you implied anything, but actually you did and it is far from clear in your original post that you know nothing about the new head. Both myself and, obviously TM read it as so. So perhaps, instead of accusing me of being patronising, you will acknowledge that. Is that polite enough for you? :shock: :evil:
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Is she in her new post yet? I’ve lost track. I know that my y7 dd hasn’t met her yet.

Announcement:
The Governing Body are delighted to announce the appointment of Mrs Sarah Colombini as our new Headteacher. She is currently Deputy Head at Torquay Girls’ Grammar School and brings with her a wealth of experience and a clear passion for educating high achieving girls.
Other than what is on the ‘net (LinkedIn) that is all we know, why would be told any more?
Last edited by Eromdap on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Eromdap wrote:Is she in her new post yet? I’ve lost track. I know that my y7 dd hasn’t met her yet.

Announcement:
The Governing Body are delighted to announce the appointment of Mrs Sarah Colombini as our new Headteacher. She is currently Deputy Head at Torquay Girls’ Grammar School and brings with her a wealth of experience and a clear passion for educating high achieving girls.
From a quick look at the website, Mrs Chong seems still to be in post?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now