appeal failure! - experience shared and advice needed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moscow

appeal failure! - experience shared and advice needed

Post by Moscow »

Hi all.

We had our first appeal yesterday (Kent) and perhaps naively thought it had gone well. The panel were very welcoming and attentive and did not ask any frightening questions. We had written out notes on what we wanted to say but not rehearsed and did not employ a company. My husband spoke about the reasons for the appeal and why he thought DS failed his Maths on the day (scores were VR 128, NVR 130, Maths 107), including having had 6 different Maths teachers in Year 5.

I then went on to discuss the academic evidence, considering the two letters of support from his school, one from his current teacher,Level 5's predicted at KS2 SATs and above average CAT scores.

Anyway, we felt we had quite a lot of academic evidence and certainly all that has been recommended on this site. I did not take any work along as I felt it was not all good and I was not asked for any.

The panel consisted of three elderly women, a clerk and the schools admissions secretary, who read out the statement as to why they could not offer him a place.

We honestly stated that he said he had run out of time in the Maths test and had guessed around 10 questions. We were not asked any questions apart from how he might get to the school (it is local!) and what jobs he did at his present school. One of the ladies however, was concerned about his Maths and I understood that and pointed out his good CATs scores and said we would support the school, should he show any weakness in any area ( e.g. by extra tutoring)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we felt it had gone well and as we came out, the admissions secretary actually congratulated us on such a good presentation! But it wasn't meant to be as we phoned today and found out we were not successful. We were told that out of 36 appeals, only 8 were upheld. We do not know yet why we were unsuccessful but I know it was the low Maths score.

My question is that we have two other appeals pending (both non-qualification) and I don't know whether it is worth continuing as we had obviously presented well but have no other evidence and the next school is a mixed school so have even less chance I fear!

With only 6 appeals being upheld in this particular school, would it not be right to assume that those successful will be closer to the pass mark on Maths than DS? as we failed with what we thought was strong evidence.

Personally, I think it is worth going to the next one as DS put this as his first choice but not sure if it will be a waste of time and whether I can stand being told no again!

What do you think peeps! :cry:
Moscow
heronsfly

Post by heronsfly »

Moscow ,I kept checking to see if you had posted, im so sorry its not good news,
Im in the same boat with similar scores, 109 on maths, I really not sure about how the scores themselves are viewed at appeals, HT and parental,as one of the hardest things for us to accept is that we know children with lower scores that have got GS places on HT appeals and yet I know of one boy who only failed by 1 point and his parents are having to appeal it all seems very unpredictable.
Good luck with the other schools.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Hi Moscow

Sorry to hear about the outcome of your appeal.

I think you should definitely go to the next one though. If you don't you will always be wondering.

I was slightly concerned about one thing you said at the hearing.
One of the ladies however, was concerned about his Maths and I understood that and pointed out his good CATs scores and said we would support the school, should he show any weakness in any area ( e.g. by extra tutoring)
To me this sounds as though you are admitting that possibly his maths is not up to scratch. I think I would be trying to suggest that his performance on the day was not up to his usual standard, backed up by any academic evidence you may have.

Just a thought, but I don't think I would have said this.

Good Luck if you decide to go ahead with the other appeal.

Sam's Mum
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

Thanks Heronfly. I wish you luck with your appeals. Read the thread from Pluto on the Kent forum. They too failed their appeal at the same school as us and are now wondering if the conclusion was foregone and that the school did not consider any non-qualification appeals. Is very confusing.

Again, good luck and let us. know your outcome
Moscow
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi Moscow, we're going through (nearly) the same thing. Have just had a failed appeal for the nearest grammar school on same grounds as you plus medical evidence and have another appeal tomorrow to try to get DD into the nearest comprehensive school. - She is 45th on the waiting list so realistically we probably have very little chance, but feel we have to give it our best shot, as at the moment she has been allocated her fourth choice secondary modern school which has just come out of special measures. Don't give up, I know it's hard, but if you don't try, you might always be wondering what if......
All the best
Bougalou :wink:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Hi
Sam's Mum wrote: To me this sounds as though you are admitting that possibly his maths is not up to scratch. I think I would be trying to suggest that his performance on the day was not up to his usual standard, backed up by any academic evidence you may have.
I though exactly the same thing - if you came to my panel and said that you'd be prepared to have your child tutored if they couldn't cope, I'd immediately think that they were not grammar material. Why? Well, a child at a Grammar must be able to cope with all the work without extra help outside the school - if not, then they're more suited to a less academic school with easier work. So don't mention it next time, OK? Push those SAT expectations, etc!
We do not know yet why we were unsuccessful but I know it was the low Maths score.
On a brighter note, it's not that you were unsuccessful, more that 8 were successful, and had 'better' reasons than you. Carry on with the other appeals, as you may find yourselves higher up the list at the next one - and you now know what not to say!
Capers
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Assuming that appeals are not a forgone conclusion, I'd like to add my thoughts too.

You said you would support the school in the way of tutoring - I believe this may not have helped your son.

It may have been better to say that tutoring would not be necessary as the 11+ results was a blip. End of story. Then focus on the other academic evidence and the predicted Sats. Go for those other appeals! You never know..... :wink:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yes, although I have NO experience in appeals, this advice about not mentioning wanting to support your child's education with tutoring if necessary would make sense to me. Keep in your mind during the next appeal, if you decide to - which I think you should - that it was a 'blip'.
Good luck to you and yours. It must be such a tough time for you at the moment.
Moscow

Post by Moscow »

Thanks guys for all your support.

Yes in hindsight maybe we should not have weakened to the maths question, it was just that I had some advice from someone who won an appeal that this was a good thing to say. I have since found out that the school was heavily oversubscribed and that those successful at appeal were over subscription appeals.

Anyway, have another to go to in May so will take aboard all your advice and play on his strengths not weaknesses. We have decided to continue with the next appeal after all , what have we got to lose? Had the details today, much more formal as an LEA school, three men on the panel as opposed to three women (will it be tougher? because they are men, who knows 8)

The appela format is much more formal but this is the school DS really wanted. I don't hold out much hope as a lot of people closer than Ds with the Maths, still, the experience is good and I get time off work!

I wish all of you the best of luck with the what seem to be lottery appeals!
Moscow
cindy

Post by cindy »

I agree with sams mum.

However, dont give up. I do know of people who went to more appeals after they finished the three schools they had chosen. They did get a school they wanted on the forth appeal.

Think, the more goals you create, you are bound to score...

good luck

Cindyx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now