Backup options to Kent - just in case needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KentbridgeDad

Backup options to Kent - just in case needed

Post by KentbridgeDad »

Dear members,

We live in Tonbridge and have couple of very good grammar school locally. My daughter is preparing well and we are hopeful that she will get into her school of choice.

However it is possible for a child at this age to not do well on a given day in one exam.

What do people usually do - do they also try say Bexley or Medway exams just to keep backup.

Wanted to take advise from fellow members. What are the practical options we have for the backup (I am aware that there is a Hill View school which is not a grammar school but good. However my query is on backup option to the Kent test)

Cheers,
Kentbridhedad
Sparklecat

Re: Backup options to Kent - just in case needed

Post by Sparklecat »

I would only try another area if it was within reasonable travelling distance. A certain website refers to some London parents as M25 tourists, entering their children in every 11+ exam possible. What would you do if your daughter failed Kent but got into Rochester? In my opinion, the Medway test is harder and different. The time spent preparing for it would be better spent on Kent. Consider a mock, or do exam conditions at home to avoid the possibility of a bad test day.

Post by 1971 »

Hi Kentbridgedad. We live in Bexley nr the Dartford border, and its our experience that its common for kids at her school to pass the kent, but not the Bexley (as my daughter did 2 off Bexley and 40 over on kent). I haven't heard of any examples from my daughters school the other way round, and most of the class did both kent and Bexley tests. I don't have any experience of the medway test, but I agree that generally there are differences between test styles etc.

Taking a mock isn't a guarantee of not having a bad day (speaking from experience!), but I do think it was helpful. She wasn't keen, but I think its good for getting used to timed sections, being in a large room with a load of strangers etc, and she did say it had helped.

Good luck
doodles

Post by doodles »

KentbridgeDad wrote:Dear members,

We live in Tonbridge and have couple of very good grammar school locally. My daughter is preparing well and we are hopeful that she will get into her school of choice.

However it is possible for a child at this age to not do well on a given day in one exam.

What do people usually do - do they also try say Bexley or Medway exams just to keep backup.

Wanted to take advise from fellow members. What are the practical options we have for the backup (I am aware that there is a Hill View school which is not a grammar school but good. However my query is on backup option to the Kent test)

Cheers,
Kentbridhedad
Before you think about the Bexley or Medway exams it would be an idea to work out whether travel to these schools is realistic from Tonbridge. There's no point sitting the extra exams if your dd is then faced with a silly journey. Better concentrating on Kent if the journey is unrealistic or you can't move.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Most Bexley places go on distance and even Orpington is on the edge of that; you wouldn't have a chance in Tonbridge. The 180 children who pass with the highest scores can get a place regardless, but anyone likely to get in that bracket should do well on the Kent test too. It wouldn't be a practical journey, either; you couldn't change trains at Orpington and get a train which goes near to any of the schools, for example. It would be substantial bus journey on top (40 mins or so from Orpington to Chis & Sid).
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Hi! How about Newstead in Orpington? All boy team here so don't know much about the girl school options but parent friends say it's a slightly different test - more weighted to non-verbal reasoning? The Bromley section might offer more info and catchment stuff.
Yours
Buck
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Uncle Buck wrote:Hi! How about Newstead in Orpington? All boy team here so don't know much about the girl school options but parent friends say it's a slightly different test - more weighted to non-verbal reasoning? The Bromley section might offer more info and catchment stuff.
Yours
Buck
Newstead has a nine mile catchment (unlike its boys' counterpart St Olave's), so unfortunately that wouldn't work either - would be a relatively easy journey from Tonbridge otherwise.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Uncle Buck wrote:Hi! How about Newstead in Orpington? All boy team here so don't know much about the girl school options but parent friends say it's a slightly different test - more weighted to non-verbal reasoning? The Bromley section might offer more info and catchment stuff.
Yours
Buck
In area for Newstead Wood is, I think, within a 9 mile radius (I'm sure PWF will correct of if I'm wrong :) ). Tonbridge is probably about twice that?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Yes TM, spot on. You can sit the test if outside the 9 mile radius but need to have moved within the 9 mile radius by last address change date to qualify to be within the 9 mile radius, this is not 100% clear but I gather it is the Bromley local authority date in early December but worth double checking with NW admissions. There are girls from Orpington travelling to TW and some who have moved from more awkward locations who were originally within the 9 mile radius to Tonbridge Wells and it is an easier but more distant journey!

Also keep an eye on Southeastern trains timetable changes from 20th May as some journeys that used to be simple are now looking less easy.
The Lamp Post

Post by The Lamp Post »

It is worth taking the Medway test, it is a couple of weeks later and is in a different format. The written English is part of the final mark I think. The only issue I think some of the Medway schools are now going on distance where before they were going on score.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now