reasoning - types of questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lorem

reasoning - types of questions

Post by Lorem »

After much consideration, I have decided to prepare my daughter for both the Medway and Kent 11 plus tests. We have done a lot of preparation for the Medway paper, and a little bit for the Kent test.

What I am trying to work out is for the reasoning paper, could any of the types of reasoning questions come up on the Kent paper?
I've looked at the 21 types of verbal reasoning questions - are there any we don't need to cover as they definitely won't appear on the Kent paper, or is it a good idea to practice all of them? Would the same apply for the non verbal and spatial reasoning?
LocalTWmum1

Re: reasoning - types of questions

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Hi you might be better placed asking this question in the Medway forum. There are very few Kent parents I know of who prepare their children for both Kent and Medway tests...even less who would know the 21 VR question types for Medway you mention - and how to compare them to Kent - and state with any kind of authority whether they will, or won't, come up!
Lorem

Post by Lorem »

I’m incredibly confused now.
I thought Kent used the GL verbal and non verbal reasoning. Therefore used the 21 types of verbal reasoning questions. Medway doesn’t as it is now CEM. This is why I was asking in the Kent forum whether I need to cover all of them.
When I have researched the types of verbal reasoning questions, it says that some areas don’t use all types of questions?
Would appreciate if someone is able to clarify this for me.
Natalieb74

Post by Natalieb74 »

When my daughter was studying for the Kent Test last year, we relied very heavily on Bond online! It was a great study aid! There were an awful lot of Reasoning categories....we looked at them all and did one or two tests from each...more on any she struggled with. Hope that helps x
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LocalTWmum1

Post by LocalTWmum1 »

Lorem wrote:I’m incredibly confused now.
I thought Kent used the GL verbal and non verbal reasoning. Therefore used the 21 types of verbal reasoning questions. Medway doesn’t as it is now CEM. This is why I was asking in the Kent forum whether I need to cover all of them.
When I have researched the types of verbal reasoning questions, it says that some areas don’t use all types of questions?
Kent is GL and there is a VR and NVR (plus spatial) element to the reasoning paper.

What is this list of 21 types of verbal reasoning questions you keep referring to? I have a third DS going through the Kent test process and had no idea there was a definitive set of question types :?
Lorem

Post by Lorem »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... t-a-glance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The 21 types of vr refer to the old Kent test. It changed about 3 years ago
mystery

Post by mystery »

The reasoning paper in Kent is made up of VR (practise all the possible GL types), NVR (practise all the possible GL types) plus spatial reasoning 2D and 3D -- there is no published practice material for spatial reasoning by GL but other stuff you find from CEM etc will help your child prepare -- but it's unlikely you will hit on the exact "types" that are used in the exam itself. This is the one truly surprise element in the Kent test since it changed.

Best practice for Kent in general remains the 8 GL familiarisation papers in each of the four subjects - VR,NVR maths and English.

The only things that have really changed are adding in the English paper and that the reasoning has all been cobbled together and spatial added, and shorter sections in all four subjects so the whole thing can be done and dusted in one morning.

First year of new Kent test they had to do ridiculous number of maths questions in the time - now the question timing is as per the GL familiarisation papers - oh also the English was ridiculously easy so a tiny number of questions wrong in the English through nerves etc meant a fail. The standard and reliability of the paper improved the following year.

I think I am correct in saying that in all the papers last two years the timings per question have been as per the GL familiarisation papers but it's always worth practising at a higher speed just in case!

I would say that all this practice for GL would stand your child in very good stead for CEM.

Ignore the no practice, tutor-proof hype.

Good luck.
September2017

Post by September2017 »

Hi,
IPS verbal reasoning-good books to use.

Definitely recommend using the GL range.

Hope this is of help. And good luck :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

LocalTWmum1 wrote:
Lorem wrote:I’m incredibly confused now.
Kent is GL and there is a VR and NVR (plus spatial) element to the reasoning paper.

What is this list of 21 types of verbal reasoning questions you keep referring to? I have a third DS going through the Kent test process and had no idea there was a definitive set of question types :?
The 21 types have been derived by someone going through all the 8 VR GL familiarisation papers and classifying the questions into 21 types. It is indeed true. In the last few years of the new Kent test no new types have popped up. I would practise them all from the GL papers. 32 familiarisation papers across all four subjects - 8 per subject - is a lot of practice material.