Chis & Sid

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
as2

Chis & Sid

Post by as2 »

Does anyone know if there's been any movement and how long their waiting list is?

Unfortunately our son missed the mark by 1 point so didn't qualify. I can see that it's been very popular this year so the chances are very slim but we were really hoping they offer below pass mark again this year.

Just curious more than anything to know how long etc. the list is, just to manage expectations.
Woodham

Re: Chis & Sid

Post by Woodham »

as2 wrote:Does anyone know if there's been any movement and how long their waiting list is?

Unfortunately our son missed the mark by 1 point so didn't qualify. I can see that it's been very popular this year so the chances are very slim but we were really hoping they offer below pass mark again this year.

Just curious more than anything to know how long etc. the list is, just to manage expectations.
I don't have a child in Year 6 at the moment but judging from what I've heard, the chances of your son gaining a place at this stage are very low! It seems an overwhelming majority of parents of boys who passed the 11+ that live in Bexley Village and Sidcup/Blackfen have put Chis 'n' Sid as their first choice which has placed an unprecedented strain on places at the school because it's co-ed.

Has he been allocated a decent comp school? Would going private be an option for you?
Last edited by Woodham on Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

In past years children in our area have got places but later in the year from the waiting list (heard of one in August). Last year we would have been offered first round. At present my son is more than 70 places down the waiting list for this year, even after Kent second round etc, so it really is oversubscribed. Hope your son has an alternative place you're happy with.
Nachan

Post by Nachan »

Our daughter is 78th on Chis &Sid list. I know that there are lots of kids from around here who go to the school and thought we’d be lower down the list than that. I don’t know why it’s more popular this year than last- I know there are more applicants overall due to higher birth rate and lower pass score so that must account for it. We are very disappointed not to be in with more of a chance. Unfortunately our DD didn’t get offered any of her choices so we have had to accept an offer from a school we would not have previously considered otherwise she will not have a place in September!
Does anyone know how a school like C&S would ensure it has a fairly equal balance of boys and girls if entrance depends on distance? I ask because it appears from earlier posts that it has been particularly popular with boys from nearby schools this year? If more girls may be applying for Townley, how do they ensure they have an equal mix?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Nachan wrote: Does anyone know how a school like C&S would ensure it has a fairly equal balance of boys and girls if entrance depends on distance? I ask because it appears from earlier posts that it has been particularly popular with boys from nearby schools this year? If more girls may be applying for Townley, how do they ensure they have an equal mix?
They don’t have to have an even number. If you look at the compare schools data, for those who took GCSEs last year they had significantly more boys (118) than girls (73)
https://www.compare-school-performance. ... ool/137423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nachan

Post by Nachan »

Thanks for the info Pettswoodfiona, I had no idea that was the case! I’m surprised at the imbalance- 45 more boys is 1.5 whole classes!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The co-ed I went to had 21 boys and 7 girls in each class!
ThankYouDebbie

Post by ThankYouDebbie »

We're 4.3 miles from Chis&Sid so pretty much every other year we'd have been offered by now, even if not in the first round. Two weeks ago my son was 34 on the waiting list. I'll call again next week but I'm not holding my breath. The woman at the school said there was a long waiting list below us.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

There may be more movement when the Kent appeals are heard as some children who have been allocated Bexley grammars actually want a Kent school. I know of someone a few years ago whose DS had a place at Bexley Grammar but appealed for Dartford. He even attended the induction day at Bexley before the result of the appeal was known and he got his place at Dartford. I wouldn't expect a huge amount of movement though but who knows, it has been a very different year.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Chis & Sid admissions advise the furthest distance offered this year is 3.8 miles, so doesn't sound like it's moved a lot since offer day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now