Moving into catchment of Dr.Challoners Boys after 1st April.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suri123

Moving into catchment of Dr.Challoners Boys after 1st April.

Post by Suri123 »

Hi can anyone kindly help with my query. Due to inevitable personal reasons we could not plan our move by 1st April.What would be the chance of getting a place in the second round of allocations in Dr Challoners boys if we move after 1st April (if my Ds passes Bucks 11 Plus).I understand that the school is highly oversubscribed and the most sought after.Any ideas about vthe number of students being offered a place in the second in previous years.Any help is much appreciated.
Guest55

Re: Moving into catchment of Dr.Challoners Boys after 1st Ap

Post by Guest55 »

Very few people would give up a place. What is the back-up option should he not qualify?

If you look at allocations here: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; then you can see the picture. How close to the school are you going to be?
Suri123

Post by Suri123 »

Around 0.3 miles away from the school. Will there be a chance in the second round if he passes?The back up option would be to move back to Wembley (where we are right now) before 31stoctober as DS already goes to an outstanding primary which also has a secondary school init or will have to go for local comprehensive s in Bucks which also seem to be good.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Suri123 wrote:Around 0.3 miles away from the school. Will there be a chance in the second round if he passes?The back up option would be to move back to Wembley (where we are right now) before 31stoctober as DS already goes to an outstanding primary which also has a secondary school init or will have to go for local comprehensive s in Bucks which also seem to be good.
There are no comprehensives in Buckinghamshire, and yes, some of the Upper schools are good, but some are not so good. No-one can tell you if he would get in in the second round, but I beleive there is little movement for this school. If you have good schools locally why not just stay where you are?
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

There's always a chance, but it would be a very expensive gamble. This year there was no movement between the first and second rounds.

My view is that you should re-think in the light of not being able to move in time. Is it really worth risking the cost and upheaval of moving in the hope that your son qualifies AND that someone declines their place AND you are close enough to take it? That's three things that need to go your way for you to gain a place. Applying some very crude probability to it:

Chance of qualifying - 1/3 (the approximate qualification rate)
Chance of a space being available in the second round - 1/2 (based on the fact that this year there was no movement and last year there was)
Chance of being close enough to take it - 1/2 (because you would be very close but others will have the same strategy as you, so let's assume there are two of you very close)

So the question is, are you prepared to risk the cost and upheaval of a house move on a 1 in 12 chance? I appreciate that my assumptions are very rough but you can see the principle.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

So would your DS continue to attend his current primary school in Wembley, whilst living on the doorstep of Dr Challoners? Doesn't Bucks ask for current primary school on their CAF? It's possible you might have to add to the mix the risk of the Admissions department wondering how permanent the move to Buckinghamshire was, if you hadn't asked them for a place in a primary school in the area you had moved to. Or have I misunderstood something?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Suri123

Post by Suri123 »

We currently live in Wembley and my son is in yr5 in an outstanding school (has both primary and secondary ).We are planning move to Bucks this month.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which Primary school are you hoping for? I expect that the good ones will be full: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451098 ... 190418.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do realise that there are no comprehensives at all in Bucks. In my view you are risking a lot as you won't get a place in your [current] local school from Amersham.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Which Primary school are you hoping for? I expect that the good ones will be full: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451098 ... 190418.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do realise that there are no comprehensives at all in Bucks. In my view you are risking a lot as you won't get a place in your [current] local school from Amersham.
If it's a linked secondary, presumably being at the primary takes precedence over living anywhere near the school but attending a different primary school?

My worry would be more that Bucks might question how genuine the move was, if the child was still at primary school ?20 miles away.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Suri123 wrote:We currently live in Wembley and my son is in yr5 in an outstanding school (has both primary and secondary ).We are planning move to Bucks this month.
It does seem a strange decision to risk moving when you already have a place at an outstanding primary and presumably will get a place at the outstanding secondary school.

When you visited Dr Challoner’s, what was it that makes it so desirable and worth moving house for?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now