Study leave - does your DC's school do it?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bravado

Study leave - does your DC's school do it?

Post by bravado »

Does your DC's school do study leave for GCSE's and if so, when does it start? I'm trying to figure out what's normal/reasonable? DD's school says that they can study at home from 4th June, with parental permission but seemingly not until then.

Interested in other people's experiences and thoughts :-)
Tinkers

Re: Study leave - does your DC's school do it?

Post by Tinkers »

DD finishes on the 10th May. After that she is just in for exams and the 6th induction day.
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS finishes on 9th May, then in for exams, book day and 6th form talk. That's it :shock:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Just been told that after the 9th they can go in just for the exams or go to their lessons as normal if they want.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Tinkers wrote:DD finishes on the 10th May. After that she is just in for exams and the 6th induction day.
Since exams start on 14th that is 1 whole day of study leave!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Studies have shown that it is better to keep them in school having lessons rather than let them 'study' at home. Parents also seem to prefer knowing they are at school and not wandering round town or on an XBOX unsupervised at home.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My dh's school no longer permit home study leave. All students have to be in school in scheduled revision lessons.
I know of two other schools (reasonably local) who are also doing this.
bravado

Post by bravado »

I don't understand the rationale of saying they can only do it from 4th June.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It's the first week back after half term.

The first two weeks are pretty exam heavy, with the majority of the whole school year compulsory ones (Maths, English Science) and pupil heavy (Hist/Geog/RE) so most pupils would be in most days anyway - as Guest says, research has showed a generally above average performance where pupils are still in "lessons". Most schools allow it at least after half term - although certainly in ours, the teachers still go and sit in their classrooms so anyone can go in and have a revision period with supervision/help.
bravado

Post by bravado »

kenyancowgirl wrote:It's the first week back after half term.
Yes I realise that :-) Sorry but perhaps I should have said that I don't understand why they only allow it from the second two weeks of exams.
kenyancowgirl wrote:The first two weeks are pretty exam heavy, with the majority of the whole school year compulsory ones (Maths, English Science) and pupil heavy (Hist/Geog/RE) so most pupils would be in most days anyway - as Guest says, research has showed a generally above average performance where pupils are still in "lessons". Most schools allow it at least after half term - although certainly in ours, the teachers still go and sit in their classrooms so anyone can go in and have a revision period with supervision/help.
I'd considered that as a possible reason but on checking, the four weeks are equally heavy for DD - she's confirmed that she has as many Maths, English Science exams in the last two weeks as the first two and the same with her subsidiary ones too. The school has a policy of sitting RE in Yr 10, so that's already out of the way and in the bag.

I totally accept that for some people, it's absolutely the most productive form of getting them to work and like most things in life, it's not a "one-fits all" solution. But what I don't get, is if this is the reason why, then why not do it for the full four weeks of exams?

I'd be interested in reading the research - would some kind soul be so kind as to point me in the direction of the reports or research mentioned/cited here? :)
Last edited by bravado on Thu May 03, 2018 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now