Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bano

11+ Admission

Post by Bano »

Hi,
I am new in this group thanx for adding me,
My 9 year old who is in year4 wants to sit in 11+ exam.I did all my studies back home and not much familiar with the system here so kindly If someone give any guidance and advice I ll appreciate.
I am in Chingford E4.
My questions are :
1- he is in year 4 right now when I need to register him for 11+ exams and where ? Do I need to register him on 11+ exam site and grammar school separate or jus for 11+ site n after if he passed then to contact school which I ll list in form ? In my area there is Latymer School and Illford county is nearer but in Redbridge Borough can I register in two different boroughs (walthamforest and Redbridge )?

2- we have a tutor who come at our house once a week for one n half hour but she said in start of year five I have to send him supplementary school in Illford as resources which they have she don’t have and without that he can’t pass the test ? Is it true or I m having wrong tutor for this purpose ?

3- His tutor told me he is going sit in exam next year September when he already finish year 5 and going to start year six in that case do I need to register him now as on 11+exams site showing registration for 2018 and 2019 ?

And in last how can I help my child to prepare for the test at home ?
I am sorry for the long post and I hope somebody ll get back to me first thing in mor,
Many thanx in advance.
Stroller

Re: 11+ Admission

Post by Stroller »

You must visit the website of each school you are interested in and read the admissions section for Year 7 and in addition go to the website of your local borough and read what they say about the common application form and the secondary school admissions process.

I can’t help with your tutoring questions other than to say it is entirely possible to get into a grammar school without ever paying a tutor. DD is proof of that. If you don’t want to pay someone else, you’ll need to devote your own time to reading on this site about the schools you’re interested in and how others prepared on a DIY basis.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

For the Latymer School, you register to take the entrance exam online via the school's website

For ICHS, unless it has changed recently, you register via the London Borough of Redbridge website.

As Stroller says, to apply for a place at either school (and any other state school for which you wish your DS to be considered), you must complete the Common Application Form (CAF) provided by your own local authority and on your LA's website you will find detailed instructions as to how to complete and submit the form.

Both of those grammar schools prioritise applicants living in their respective catchment areas (both also have a history of trying to restrict registrants for their entrance exams ditto, but hopefully the full meaning of the Admissions Code, Greenwich Ruling etc have finally sunk in now). Anyone may sit the exams, but pressure of numbers means that OOC applicants remaining OOC after any deadline for moving into catchment rarely, he ever, actually obtain a place at either school. I am assuming that you have checked that your address does fall into both the Common Catchment Area for ICHS and the Inner Area for Latymer.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Year Fours will be applying this time next year to sit the exams in September.

If you are going to use a tutor make sure you have one that is experienced with the schools you want to apply for.

There is no reason that you should have to move to another centre in Y5. One tutor should be able to cover what you need to know and if they can't then get someone else who can. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now