Question about primary school.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

apillow

Question about primary school.

Post by apillow »

Hi Everyone,
I am seeking admission for my kid in Bells Farm Primary in Druids Heath. Anyone here know about the school? Any review you can provide? I see it had an ofstead Oustanding rating in 2011, but I do not see any information after that. Thanks.
crazycrofter

Re: Question about primary school.

Post by crazycrofter »

apillow wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am seeking admission for my kid in Bells Farm Primary in Druids Heath. Anyone here know about the school? Any review you can provide? I see it had an ofstead Oustanding rating in 2011, but I do not see any information after that. Thanks.
That’s the problem with schools with an outstanding Ofsted - they don’t get inspected again for years! Have you visited the school?

I used to live very near the school and all I know is that Druids Heath is a deprived area. This is reflected in the fact that 56% of pupils have been on free school meals during the last five years (as per the data on the government website).

However the SATs results look decent enough. Have you also tried Broadmeadow, which has a slightly more mixed intake? My friend moved to that area and got her children into Hollywood Primary which is a bit further - it’s by the Maypole. She’s been happy with it.

Basically I think you need to visit!
apillow

Post by apillow »

That’s the problem with schools with an outstanding Ofsted - they don’t get inspected again for years! Have you visited the school?

I used to live very near the school and all I know is that Druids Heath is a deprived area. This is reflected in the fact that 56% of pupils have been on free school meals during the last five years (as per the data on the government website).

However the SATs results look decent enough. Have you also tried Broadmeadow, which has a slightly more mixed intake? My friend moved to that area and got her children into Hollywood Primary which is a bit further - it’s by the Maypole. She’s been happy with it.

Basically I think you need to visit!
Thanks for your reply crazycrofter.

No, I havent visited the school yet as I live out of the country. I made the application to the school looking at the ofstead report. I also had called Boradmeadow, but when I looked at ofstead Bells Farm was the only one with an outstanding report. So made the application. We are moving to the area by end of June only. The reason why we chose that area to live is that my DD1 got into CHG. We are not sure about her transport etc. When we found a house where DD1 can commute easily, we just went for the area. Once kids get used to Birmingham life we will think about finding a house of our own.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

That area is pretty convenient for CHG. if you’re on the Monyhull Hall Road side the number 35 bus goes that way regularly.

Will your younger child be going into year 6 in September? If that’s the case it probably doesn’t matter too much which Primary you choose anyway!

Could you wait until you get here and then look round any schools which have places?
apillow

Post by apillow »

That area is pretty convenient for CHG. if you’re on the Monyhull Hall Road side the number 35 bus goes that way regularly.

Will your younger child be going into year 6 in September? If that’s the case it probably doesn’t matter too much which Primary you choose anyway!

Could you wait until you get here and then look round any schools which have places?
Well, she should be in Year 6 in September according to her DOB. but we are taking a differed entry and she will be placed in Year 5 as she is only in Year 4 where we are currently in.The cut off date here is different. I mean she should be sitting 11plus in 2018 in Birmingham, where as in here she needs to sit only in 2019. Hence we took the deferred entry.

I need to find out where Money hull road is :D Thanks for the info.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

apillow wrote:

Well, she should be in Year 6 in September according to her DOB. but we are taking a differed entry and she will be placed in Year 5 as she is only in Year 4 where we are currently in.The cut off date here is different. I mean she should be sitting 11plus in 2018 in Birmingham, where as in here she needs to sit only in 2019. Hence we took the deferred entry.

I need to find out where Money hull road is :D Thanks for the info.
Have you checked whether she’ll be able to take the 11 plus a year late? I thought there was no leeway but maybe the rules have changed?
apillow

Post by apillow »

Have you checked whether she’ll be able to take the 11 plus a year late? I thought there was no leeway but maybe the rules have changed?
The head teacher from Bells Farm is in touch with Admissions to check. We also wrote to them , waiting for a reply. Thank you.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

apillow wrote:
The head teacher from Bells Farm is in touch with Admissions to check. We also wrote to them , waiting for a reply. Thank you.
All the best! I hope you get an answer quickly as you will need a bit of time to prepare her if she has to take it in September!
um

Post by um »

I would take Ofsted reports with pinch of salt tbh and look at the data first.

It's worth knowing that although the school leadership and teachers are pretty good, the intake is generally very deprived with a far larger % than average of pupils who are eligible for free school meals.
The results are below average.

As you are on the 11 Plus forum and presumably looking for 11 Plus entry, I would recommend looking around as there could be places in schools which are academically more stretching.

You may wish to try Kings Norton or Stirchley to see if there are any places.
You could also look around Hollywood and the Solihull border.
There are generally always places at Tidbury Green too as it's a small village.

If you are Catholic, the options are wider as there are a number of good Catholic primaries you could apply to.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

There are a number of Catholic schools, but our lady of the wayside in Shirley is always oversubscribed. Any Catholic child in the parish, without sibling, over 1.8 miles from the school did not get a piace this year.
Also The Coppice in Hollywood (90 entry) is also oversubscribed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now