Latin or German

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bananas

Re: Latin or German

Post by Bananas »

My DD does German there as her second language, there's a 50-50 split between those doing Latin and those doing German. I did German though rarely use it but does help with understanding of other languages. French has been much more useful. I would go for German.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

They are put in classes based on German or Latin choice so class A all do German and she's in class A for everything.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Off topic, but that is poor choice of name for the class, if, assumably, the other one is B....? Way to go, teaching staff, implying one class is superior in some way.... :shock:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Firstly I wanted to clarify if this is a first or second language choice? It isn't clear from this but if it is second, I would say that potentially it would be better to go for Latin as it is the more broadening choice. If it is the only language she will study, then go for German as a MFL will be a useful thing to have.

I also want to oppose the recognised wisdom that not reading for pleasure is 'a major problem'. Before I had my own children and was 'just' a teacher I would have agreed. I have now had 3 children who gave up reading for pleasure when I stopped reading to them (I carried on until they were at the end of primary school) despite being surrounded by books and having parents who are always reading. All 3 got the top grades possible in both their English GCSEs and one is doing English A level. Two have got into what I hate to call 'top' universities but are, having aced their A levels (one in Humanities subjects; both doing social sciences/humanities at university). The lack of desire to read in their spare time has not held them back even slightly. The other thing is that there has always been a rich diet of talk, and Radio 4, in the house. We rarely watch television (and this goes for the children too, even now) or films; occasionally visit the theatre but not heavily into that either; none of the children has ever had the slightest inclination to play video or computer games. All of which may have been factors in their academic success or may not have been - but reading in itself never featured and has not been detrimental to their educational outcomes. One has recently discovered that reading is easier with coloured overlays and this has encouraged a foray into a bit more reading - the DC concerned refuses to get this 'diagnosed' or labelled but it may have been a factor. I do hope they will discover some of the great literature by themselves in due course (DH didn't start till he was in his 40s and is now very well read) but that is their choice.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Yes the classes are A to F though from what DD tells me A is not the teachers' favourite class. :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Woodford County uses a CEM exam which is 50% English CEM which is all about vocab so her vocab must be good for her to have got a place, unless her Maths and NVR was so high it made up for a weaker English mark.

Hopefully she will have great English teachers at Woodford who will introduce her to the joys of Literature. My English teachers at secondary school introduced me to literature that has never left me. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now