Extra cohort at Weald of Kent, Sevenoaks annex

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pushydaddy

Extra cohort at Weald of Kent, Sevenoaks annex

Post by pushydaddy »

Last year, Weald of Kent were compelled by the independent appeals panel to take an extra 30 odd girls, which equated to an extra form at the Sevenoaks annex.

Is the same happening this year? does anyone know if it likely to become the norm?
crowbella

Re: Extra cohort at Weald of Kent, Sevenoaks annex

Post by crowbella »

Hi, we are appealing for WoK this year and just received our pack. It informs us that this year (following on from an agreement with KCC) they have already gone up to four classes at the annex for the next year and these places were offered on National Offer Day, with this in mind I'm not sure if they will increase to five classes this year....we are hoping so otherwise it will be a lost cause! I wouldn't be surprised if we see a very tight year of successful appeals to be honest.
pushydaddy

Post by pushydaddy »

Thanks for letting me know.

It isn't impossible that they could put an extra (5th) form on, they certainly have the space and appear to have the desire to get as large as they can. The more girls they get at the annex, the more efficient it will be. But I guess it will be according to what they had negotiated with the LA. Last year, they had recruited staff based on an assumption of and extra form, so they knew that they would be able to cope with it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Try asking on the appeals thread maybe? I don't see why they would have to negotiate anything with the local authority. They are an academy.

The restrictions will be if they can somehow timetable everything in an appropriate way at the annex and the mainsite and still run it as an annex rather than a separate school with an intake of 5 x 30 at the annex. Is there space on the mainsite for 5 classes to go over once a fortnight, example?

Not sure if they should be formally consulting on greater intake numbers if they are doing to take more than 3 x 30 every year. Ask Etienne!

Good luck.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Four forms of entry at Year 7 will be the norm at the Annexe according to this recent article which quotes the Headteacher:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... o3_HBA_b-q
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mystery wrote:Try asking on the appeals thread maybe? I don't see why they would have to negotiate anything with the local authority. They are an academy.
Places have to be agreed with the LA ... academies are not completely 'in charge'.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:
mystery wrote:Try asking on the appeals thread maybe? I don't see why they would have to negotiate anything with the local authority. They are an academy.
Places have to be agreed with the LA ... academies are not completely 'in charge'.

I'm really not sure either way --- this would suggest that they only have to tell the local authority:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/academy-admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery

Post by mystery »

chimera-ma wrote:Four forms of entry at Year 7 will be the norm at the Annexe according to this recent article which quotes the Headteacher:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... o3_HBA_b-q
Ah yes - which suggests that they could take more than 120 via appeal - hard for an appellant to know the issues the school could argue with if they don't want more than 120 but space at the annex itself maybe could not be an argument against an extra class at the moment. I've forgotten though how many form entry it was actually built for in the end - was it reduced from 6 to 4 form entry size when it became clear that they weren't going to have 3 forms of boys?

Mrs Shilling certainly can't have realised how many extra girls' places she was setting in train when she started that online petition for a mixed sex grammar school in Sevenoaks all those years back when her boys were going through the West Kent grammar school mill.
Last edited by mystery on Thu May 10, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mystery - it's not that simple.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:mystery - it's not that simple.
Because it's Sevenoaks? :D

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 19_Dec.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What else is there which overrides this - Section 1 on PAN?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now