Where to buy house in Colchestor

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
goyalr

Where to buy house in Colchestor

Post by goyalr »

Hi All
PLease could someone guide where to buy house in colch. My son is starting in sept at CRGS. Is it worth buying near school
Could any one guide which are indian areas in colchestor
Thank You
KB

Re: Where to buy house in Colchestor

Post by KB »

There have been quite detailed threads on here previously which contain lots of information. You might do well to start by looking at them.

Where are you living at the moment? Do you know Colchester at all?

Given there is so little time to arrange a house move and get settled before the start of September might you consider renting for a while and give yourselves an opportunity to get to know the town?

If you want to be walking distance of the school then it's an expensive part of town. Lexden Road is particularly expensive but you could also look at St Mary's area or towards Prettygate.

Traffic tends to be heavy in the rush hour ( including along Lexden Road at school finish time) so be wary of buying a short drive away and thinking it will be a quick trip on the school run!
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

It depends on what else you need/want and your budget.

Do you need parking? A primary school for younger siblings? What house size?

There are lots of purple blazers walking to CRGS from Prettygate/Christchurch/Lexden areas. I would say the nicest areas are between Butt Road and Lexden Road (Christchurch), and Shrub End Road and Lexden Road (Prettygate). The area above Lexden road and close to town is St Marys. Nice enough but the roads are narrow and parking is tricky.

I’d look at Prettygate, approximately a twenty minute walk, you can cut time off the walk by using the footpath that runs between The Commons and Lexden Road. Houses are cheapest there out of the three areas, most houses have driveways and the roads don’t have parking restrictions. Its a nice community. Lexden and Christchurch have some beautiful character houses, very leafy and pleasant, but they are much more expensive and parking is really hard on most of the roads.

The area around CRGS is one of the heaviest for traffic in the morning, if you are living further away and are planning to drive in/take the bus, you have to factor that in. It isnt a pleasant drive at all. Parking is tricky for parents evening/school events etc.

I don’t know about Indian areas, I’m sorry.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Wikipedia, admittedly quoting figures from 2008, puts the Indian population of Colchester at 0.8% of 181 000. Which is 1448, possibly not enough people to constitute a specific 'area', even if they did all decide to live in the same general location?

I would hazard a guess that a reasonable number would be employed at the hospital? However, although I do get to spend some time in Colchester, I'm not local to the area so wouldn't be able to suggest places to live, I'm afraid (although having once been sent along there by my satnav on a detour down there due to an accident on my normal route home, I thought that Maldon Road looked quite nice).

The festival of Holi appears to be celebrated :)

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2 ... f-colours/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
gdad

Post by gdad »

congrats goyalr. My son will also be starting Yr7 at CRGS from Sept 2018. I am considering new built areas around Stanway, Tollgate with a possible school bus option. See if this is an option for you...PM me if you want to discuss further.
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

In addition to the areas mentioned the estates off straight road (stanway and westlands) are also walkable. But I agree the traffic over this side of town is atrocious. Perhaps look at the hideous new build estate at Tollgate (edge of stanway and copford) on the 65 bus route which drops your precious outside the school gates. Be warned. That land was flood plain and I understand many houses are already having subsidence issues.

Where will he be commuting from while you decide? Have you work in the area? Perhaps base yourselves near your work - the schools are all easy to get to from most main bus routes.
Proudmumregardless

Also perhaps look slightly further out to Marks Tey or Tiptree/Gt Totham/Maldon. Many bus in from those areas (and Sudbury/Halstead) and it's not a huge journey like from east London (where a lot tend to commute from!)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mersea Island is quite pretty and it's apparently quite easy not to get cut off by the tide :). (I don't remember having a problem on the few occasions when we have visited, but in our case that was probably more by luck than judgement :lol:).

http://www.visitmerseaisland.co.uk/blog ... gistration
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proudmumregardless

Yeah everyone has a book of tide times on the island I believe but it's lovely. To be fair most areas are lovely in Colchester. Just avoid Greenstead
KB

Post by KB »

Do think about teenagers getting in to town and elsewhere apart from just for the school day. Mersea island I wouldn't recommend, equallyTotham etc.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now