More Freak tv!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

More Freak tv!

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Did anyone watch Cotton Wool Kids - oh dear :(

If I were to micro-chip my kid it would be so that I could then let them run around wherever they wanted too (within reason), not so it would offer an outside prison where your mum could see where you were! And pushing these fears onto kids...mmmmm.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

And what if the technology behind the chip was abused and the very technology which was supposed to protect the child enabled a less scrupulous person to track down said child...scary!

That woman was clearly rather obsessed and a little OTT. However, I can understand some of her rationale, the media reporting of crimes and abductions doesn't help and neither does human nature - our children are precious and it only takes one small oversight and it could all be too late. How many times must the McCanns relive the hours before her disappearance and regret their choice to leave their children unattended? My children have nowhere near the freedom that I had as a child, and whilst I feel guilty for that, I cannot allow them to roam free as I did.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Ed's Mum ----- which statistics have worsened since you were a child which have forced you to decide that your children cannot roam free as you did?

I am curious as I still have all these decisions to make myself and I am puzzled as to whether there really are any concrete facts that justify the lack of freedom (and therefore initiative) that many children seem to have these days.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I don't remembe mentioning statistics!

It is extremely difficult to allow my children, and plenty of other parents I know feel the same, to roam free. No statistics involved. The media hype doesn't help. Also, we seem to have story after story, particularly recently, of various mishaps (or worse) befalling children of my childrens age and actually discourages my children from WANTING to play outside. No, I don't expose them to this news intentionally - before I receive criticism - it is covered on respectable programmes such as Newsround. I can assure you that I am no worse than most parents I know, but my children rarely go out unattended and then, only with their mobile phones or walkie talkies and I keep regular contact with them.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

I feel really strongly about this. I would really love to let my children out to play in the park on their own, like I was. I am convinced they are losing the valuable benefits of independent play and interaction with other children in a way which is not proportionate to the risks. My partner won't let them go out on their own and it really annoys me. But I just know the one day I got my way and they were let out on their own they would all be murdered. She always has to be right!
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Bad Dad wrote:I feel really strongly about this. I would really love to let my children out to play in the park on their own, like I was. I am convinced they are losing the valuable benefits of independent play and interaction with other children in a way which is not proportionate to the risks. My partner won't let them go out on their own and it really annoys me. But I just know the one day I got my way and they were let out on their own they would all be murdered. She always has to be right!
Despite the statistics we are all terrified of what MIGHT happen to our children..

You gotta love the modern mass-media!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Who's watching Baby Fight Club tonight? Makes these Child Genius parents look like saints! :wink:
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Ed's mum wrote: my children rarely go out unattended and then, only with their mobile phones or walkie talkies and I keep regular contact with them.
Thank goodness for mobile phones....I would be a nervous wreck if my DS didn't have one and I would certainly not give him the freedom he enjoys without it. This freedom, incidentally, is nowhere near the sort of freedom I had as a child....however I am just not prepared to take any gambles with my DS's safety.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I watched Strictly Baby Fight Club and I felt sick - personally I think its tantamount to child abuse - the equivalent to illegal dog ad cock fights where slimy adults salivate over the lttle kids getting beaten up - anyone else watch it and agree. :x
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

T.i.p.s.y

100% agree. I didn't actually watch it but saw it advertised and that was enough for me. I said to my husband exactly what you just said, total abuse no question. As dh said it's worse then 'dog fighting'

Mel