Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KenR

Great avert for the quality of Music at KEHS & Birmingham

Post by KenR »

Guest55

Re: Great avert for the quality of Music at KEHS & Birmingha

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, how does this say anything good about her school? A good music department produces hundreds of good musicians and fantastic orchestras, choirs etc - much more than one individual who started learning before she got to the school.

Yes, she might be very talented but no more so than others who do not enter this sort of competition.
Hera

Post by Hera »

That aside I thought Lauren was absolutely amazing. I also loved the saxophonist, Rob. The talk by Jess Gillam about how inspiring watching the competition is for young musicians was lovely and had my two DDs sitting on the edge of their seats.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry, how does this say anything good about her school? A good music department produces hundreds of good musicians and fantastic orchestras, choirs etc - much more than one individual who started learning before she got to the school.

Yes, she might be very talented but no more so than others who do not enter this sort of competition.
I disagree. I don't think you read the article fully. She came to Birmingham from the US (New Mexico) a few years ago, initially only for 1 year as one of her parents was on a 1-year sabbatical in Birmingham, but they decided to stay because of the quality of the Music making and teaching available in Birmingham at KEHS and the Conservatoire. Surely for her parents to make that decision it must say something about the scope and quality of Music teaching in Birmingham and the importance that Music has in the KEHS curriculum?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I did read the article - although I understood that a post should not just be a link was not really recommended on here.

I don't think the school can take any credit whatsoever - she studies music outside the school from what it says. My DS's ex-school regularly features at MFY finals [various groups] but I have not felt the need to start a thread on this as it is just part of the outstanding school experience.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Guest55 wrote:I did read the article - although I understood that a post should not just be a link was not really recommended on here.

I don't think the school can take any credit whatsoever - she studies music outside the school from what it says. My DS's ex-school regularly features at MFY finals [various groups] but I have not felt the need to start a thread on this as it is just part of the outstanding school experience.
But you could start a thread about the music at his school and I’m sure people would find it helpful.

Why do you need to pour cold water on a positive thread? Do you have inside information on the music at KEHS? Do you even live in Birmingham?

I think it’s great that they decided to stay in Birmingham - we get a lot of bad press here but the city has a lot to offer!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Actually have to agree that having read it I think that the school can take little or no credit for this... and to be honest I think you'll find a similar story in most schools.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

stroudydad wrote:Actually have to agree that having read it I think that the school can take little or no credit for this... and to be honest I think you'll find a similar story in most schools.
Probably! Most amazing musicians have started learning at a young age outside of school.

However loads of talented musicians do choose KEHS because of the music there so the link isn’t irrelevant.

Also they do somehow get a very large number of merits and distinctions in their music exams compared to other schools- I’m not sure how! My daughter who is not particularly dedicated at all and only started flute when she joined the school just got a really high distinction in grade 2. I know it’s an early grade but I was still very surprised! :) I did loads of music exams as a child and only managed one merit!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

crazycrofter wrote:
stroudydad wrote:Actually have to agree that having read it I think that the school can take little or no credit for this... and to be honest I think you'll find a similar story in most schools.
Probably! Most amazing musicians have started learning at a young age outside of school.

However loads of talented musicians do choose KEHS because of the music there so the link isn’t irrelevant.

Also they do somehow get a very large number of merits and distinctions in their music exams compared to other schools- I’m not sure how! My daughter who is not particularly dedicated at all and only started flute when she joined the school just got a really high distinction in grade 2. I know it’s an early grade but I was still very surprised! :) I did loads of music exams as a child and only managed one merit!
Many would argue that grade exams mean nothing... my children are all musical but they would tell you that they didn't even do the first three grades and went straight to four. DS1 has done grade 8, but DD is a far better musician than him but hasn't bothered after grade 6, the schools, the secondaries particularly Marling can claim NO responsibility for this. In fact I would go as far to say Marling have actually hindered his progress... and the music department has been the one big let down. Despite this they have both been major parts of a national youth brass band championship winning band twice in 5 years with the rest in the top 3..
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

stroudydad wrote:
crazycrofter wrote:

Many would argue that grade exams mean nothing... my children are all musical but they would tell you that they didn't even do the first three grades and went straight to four. DS1 has done grade 8, but DD is a far better musician than him but hasn't bothered after grade 6, the schools, the secondaries particularly Marling can claim NO responsibility for this. In fact I would go as far to say Marling have actually hindered his progress... and the music department has been the one big let down. Despite this they have both been major parts of a national youth brass band championship winning band twice in 5 years with the rest in the top 3..
I suppose that’s the point though - KEHS don’t hinder, they encourage and support.

I know grades aren’t everything - but for my daughter, a distinction was just the encouragement she needed to give more attention to music as she’s been a bit of a floater when it comes to extra curricular and not stuck with anything properly.

I’m not particularly saying KEHS should take any credit for Lauren’s win. But KEHS is great for music, amongst other things so I can see why the family decided to stay!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now