Lucy1 appeal for Kent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lucy1

Lucy1 appeal for Kent

Post by Lucy1 »

Hi Etienne,

Is there a possibility of contacting you in private with regard to my child's Kent 11+ appeal for general advice? As I do not feel comfortable posting detail of case?

Thank you
Tinkers

Re: Lucy1 appeal for Kent

Post by Tinkers »

Lucy1, I have split your post off and started a separate thread. We try and keep diiffent appeal threads separate to make it easier to manage.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Lucy1

We prefer to answer as much as possible on the forum if there are background issues that you feel you don't want to mention on the forum then they can be sent to a private email address - have a read of this https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucy1

Kent 11+ Appeal

Post by Lucy1 »

Hi,

I am currently working on making an appeal for my child for the Kent 11+ appeal. Wanted some general advice from anyone who has (not limited to) previously been successful at this appeal.

My child has scored 351 (which does exceed the pass mark). What has made being deemed non selective is that a score of 106 in each section was needed to be obtained i.e. 106 in the english, maths, non-verbal test papers. My child narrowly missed this score in the english test paper and got a score of 104. This resulted in being non selective.

Therefore, with a shortfall of 2 marks in the English test paper, wanted to ask whether there is a chance of succeeding in an appeal for a school place for Dartford Grammar.

Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks

Please keep to this one thread on Appeals - Moderator
Lucy1

Post by Lucy1 »

Thanks for the response @hermanmunster. Could I please have the private email as have some background circumstances that would not want to post public.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Lucy1 wrote:Thanks for the response @hermanmunster. Could I please have the private email as have some background circumstances that would not want to post public.

Please Read the links HM posted above. It gives all the info you need about emailing the appeals inbox.

Lucy1

Re: Decision time, appeal or not to appeal. Need help please

Post by Lucy1 »

Hello Etienne,

I would like to ask for your thoughts on whether a letter of recommendation/ ability from d's private tutor would be of value/ benefit to the independent appeals panel on the day of the appeal as information in d's ability/ performance? As my main concern is that d's catholic school are refusing to supply any letters of support of d's performance to date due to some policies they have on not supporting applications to grammar schools. Therefore, I do not have much information on d's educational attainments. So am thinking whether letter of support from d's tutor would be of any assistance to the panel on the day?

Thanks!
Lucy1

Re: Decision time, appeal or not to appeal. Need help please

Post by Lucy1 »

Hello Etienne,

I would like to ask for your thoughts on whether a letter of recommendation/ ability from d's private tutor would be of value/ benefit to the independent appeals panel on the day of the appeal as information in d's ability/ performance? As my main concern is that d's catholic school are refusing to supply any letters of support of d's performance to date due to some policies they have on not supporting applications to grammar schools. Therefore, I do not have much information on d's educational attainments. So am thinking whether letter of support from d's tutor would be of any assistance to the panel on the day?

Thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Please keep to this one thread on Appeals - Moderator
I would like to ask for your thoughts on whether a letter of recommendation/ ability from d's private tutor would be of value/ benefit
Hello Lucy

A private tutor is unlikely to be viewed as independent.
Have you seen the Q&As?
A list of the sort of evidence we would recommend is in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
school are refusing to supply any letters of support
Although they can decline to support you, you could insist on a copy of any academic records they have. See B20(c):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you have any school reports that comment favourably on English and would help your case?

On a separate matter, don't forget to give reasons for wanting or needing a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Having been on the forum a while it seems the general experience in Kent is that a narrow mis-qualification is likely to best succeed for one of the grammars that just requires a pass. Dartford has a qualifying score so whilst it is still about why the school is best for your child and academic evidence - you would be competing with those who passed, some with quite high scores.

Dartford is one of the schools that gets a very high number of appeals with very limited numbers of successes, those that do succeed are usually those who have already passed. It may be worth asking the admissions people at the school for figures on appeals and who succeeded at appeal who hadn’t got a pass as a helpful guide. I don’t mean to be the bearer of bad tidings but thought you needed to be fully aware.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now