Herts test timing

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
alexrider1

Herts test timing

Post by alexrider1 »

Dear forum members, I have been busy preparing for the 11+ exam with my child and the advice from this forum has been very helpful. I have a question on the SW Herts exam. Does anyone know what time does the morning session start and what time does the afternoon session start, and how long does the whole exam (including break time) last? Thank you very much.
Otter

Re: Herts test timing

Post by Otter »

Here's a snapshot of the email I received nearly 2 years ago....
TESTING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE SW HERTS SCHOOLS CONSORTIUM

I am writing to confirm that your son will sit the South West Herts Admissions Tests here at Watford Grammar School for Boys on Saturday, 10th September 2016.

You have been allocated the morning session:
Arrival at 8.15 am
Collection at 11.30 am

There will be two tests, Mathematics (50 minutes) and Verbal Reasoning (approximately one hour to deliver, including practice examples for each section). There will be a short break in between the tests. Parents must leave the test centre once they have registered the children and return to collect them afterwards at the time given. Please provide your child with two pencil, a rubber and a ruler for use as straight edge. Any refreshment for the break should be neatly packed.
I'm guessing the afternoon session would have been for the children to arrive somewhere between 12:30 & 1:30 and pick up around 4pm ish, I hope that helps.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you happen to also be sitting DAO you will only do the Maths at SW Herts so you will leave after the Maths.

DAO and SW Herts use the same CEM paper and share results. DG
alexrider1

Post by alexrider1 »

Thank you for the replies. We have a clash of test dates between SW Herts and Kent (out of county test date). It is simply not possible to take both tests on the same day due to the distance apart. Both councils are not willing to give an alternative date.

Is there something I can do about it? It seems very unfair that we have to choose one out of the two, when there are places we can qualify for in both counties, although I do recognise the level of competition and that we may not score high enough in the first place.

I believe Kent has clashed with other counties in the past and I'm not the first one in this situation. If anyone has a solution for this, could you advise me or send me a PM please? Thank you.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

alexrider1 wrote:Thank you for the replies. We have a clash of test dates between SW Herts and Kent (out of county test date). It is simply not possible to take both tests on the same day due to the distance apart. Both councils are not willing to give an alternative date.

Is there something I can do about it? It seems very unfair that we have to choose one out of the two, when there are places we can qualify for in both counties, although I do recognise the level of competition and that we may not score high enough in the first place.

I believe Kent has clashed with other counties in the past and I'm not the first one in this situation. If anyone has a solution for this, could you advise me or send me a PM please? Thank you.
Have you explained your situation fully to each? I assume that you are facing a job move from one area to the other but are unsure when in the applications / admissions cycle the move will actually take place? A friend of mine had a similar problem a few years ago, but fortunately was moving to a fully comprehensive area, so listed schools in both places on her DS's CAF and fortunately was offered a place at the local school straightaway when they were able to confirm their new address.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
alexrider1

Post by alexrider1 »

ToadMum wrote: Have you explained your situation fully to each? I assume that you are facing a job move from one area to the other but are unsure when in the applications / admissions cycle the move will actually take place? A friend of mine had a similar problem a few years ago, but fortunately was moving to a fully comprehensive area, so listed schools in both places on her DS's CAF and fortunately was offered a place at the local school straightaway when they were able to confirm their new address.
We were thinking of taking the Kent test as out of county candidates. If we get a place, we will then relocate when Year 7 starts. As ooc scores for Kent have traditionally been very high and getting an ooc place is difficult, we still want to take the SW Herts test. I have contacted both counties, and neither is willing to give an alternative date.

It looks like we have to choose one or another, but I'm sure other people have been in a similar situation before. Therefore, I'm interested to know how do people manage to sit tests for different counties when exam dates clash.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both schools will have a backup date.

Find out when they are and apply for both of them.

You just need to one to agree and then you will be able to sit both tests.

There are posters on here who have got SW Herts to agree to this in the past.

Try searching on subject CLASH/

DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now