GL Assessment - Good Verbal Reasoning Score?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chemistryguy

GL Assessment - Good Verbal Reasoning Score?

Post by chemistryguy »

My DC has been preparing for an upcoming 11+ exam which involves a GL VR Paper. We have been slowly practising question types and have done a few papers (official ones by GL). I know that this is by no means 100% accurate to what DC will do on the day, but was just wondering what score / percentage is considered 'good' (i.e. having a decent chance of entry).

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have been browsing around and can't seem to find an answer!
Thanks in advance.
scary mum

Re: GL Assessment - Good Verbal Reasoning Score?

Post by scary mum »

It will partly depend on where you are (whether you are looking at super selective schools, for example), and will partly depend on the cohort sitting the paper.
scary mum
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Yes, difficult to say. Ds did all 8 of the GL papers and at this time was getting 80% which improved to about 90% over the summer. Speed is key.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The QE GL papers are a lot harder than the published ones. So you would need to be aiming for the 90s in the published ones. DG
chemistryguy

Post by chemistryguy »

Thank you all! DC Is currently getting round 80-85%. Will be sitting Latymer and QE Boys, so hopefully scores will improve.
dreams

Post by dreams »

Daogroupie wrote:The QE GL papers are a lot harder than the published ones. So you would need to be aiming for the 90s in the published ones. DG
Daogroupie, do you know if QE papers include questions from Yr6 syllabus or not? Thank you
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to cover the whole of the KS2 syllabus at the very least.

It is a hard Maths paper. DG
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

My child did some GL papers with me. He was getting 90% and over within the time in both maths and verbal reasoning. He scored quite a lot lower in the non verbal but only because of the timing.
In the actual 11+ he didn't pass. He did ok in the maths (passed), quite well in the non verbal but badly in the verbal. He was very nervous. I think you need to spend time on exam technique because being able to do the questions at home doesn't mean the child will pass the real exam.