Crypt Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

YankBritmum

Re: Crypt Appeals

Post by YankBritmum »

Thanks for this really helpful analysis. My DD will be sitting the test in September, and as we are currently based overseas, it's good to know what the relative 'pecking order' is for the Glos GS!

I've been reading all this Crypt thread with great interest. We are going to look at it next month, so I might ask them if they'll be reviewing their ranking for 2019 entrants! Will report back......
Lysander wrote:To help for next year, on allocations day (so before the reshuffle caused by Crypt undersubscription), we had the following

The last rank admitted to Pates was 176, which was within Crypt PAN
The last rank admitted to STRS was 275, which was in the Crypt 450s
The last rank admitted to Marling was 375, which is approximately Crypt 835
The last rank admitted to SHS was 375, which is approximately Crypt 848
The last rank admitted to Ribston was 503, which is approximately Crypt 1000
Based on 2016 data, when the last rank admitted to HSFG was 314, this would be approximately Crypt 650 (thanks to Jaerund for providing the additional data point that allowed me to calculate this)

Of these, Marling, SHS, and Ribston are most likely to have been affected by the shift in Crypt qualification rank, and it's possible that HSFG has lost one or two to Crypt. My estimate, is that after Crypt appeals have gone through to fill the final 28 places, these will shift along the waiting lists by another seven to ten each, plus there'll be children that haven't already got grammar places who will no doubt get through.

So by Crypt scores, I think we can say that for 2018 admission:

<150 needed to get a Pates place
<450 needed to get a STRS place
<650 needed to get a HSFG place
<850 needed to get a Marling place
<860 needed to get a SHS place
<1000 needed to get a Ribston place

And of course <800 to guarantee a Crypt place, but it should have been <925...
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Rachm82 wrote:I'm just wondering, if there are so many that are at a high academic standard, how are they going to cut the number down to 28??
Because they’ll ‘rank’ them using the evidence given in the appeals I guess, so by a mixture of 11+ rank, CATS scores, school references about academic ability, medical considerations affecting not performing to the best of their ability in the 11+ etc. I’ve not been involved in appeals but I assume it’s almost a points exercise, 1 point for being ill during the test etc etc??? It’s not simply based on original ranks as parents will be building a case for why the original rank wasn’t higher.
It’s a nightmare but I’m sure the other gs all do it in the same way we just don’t know so much about it as there are far more facts/figures for Crypt this year.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Jaethel wrote:
Rachm82 wrote:I'm just wondering, if there are so many that are at a high academic standard, how are they going to cut the number down to 28??
Someone will tell me if I'm wrong, but as it's now at appeal stage, presumably they'll go over PAN if the panel tell them to - so could they end up taking more than 28?

Yes:-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

YankBritmum wrote:My DD will be sitting the test in September, and as we are currently based overseas, it's good to know what the relative 'pecking order' is for the Glos GS!
As stroudydad already noted, the shenanigans this year have not affected this 'pecking order' at all. If that was Crypt's aim, to pitch higher, it failed this time. I imagine they will be better advised next year though.
It's going to be very hard, isn't it? Given that an appeal is not meant to take into account position on WL (I think Etienne said that they won't know it even), and presumably every appeal will have similar HT reports etc. I imagine it might come down to how articulate and prepared the parents are in presenting the case, sadly. But then the entire selective system favours the prepared and articulate anyway so this won't be any different. I hope none of the panel was hoping for a holiday in half term.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:As stroudydad already noted, the shenanigans this year have not affected this 'pecking order' at all. If that was Crypt's aim, to pitch higher, it failed this time.
FGS Amber :shock:
I know I’m predictable for biting but seriously....!?! Whoever did their figures messed up, yes it’s rubbish but it is what it is & the first year was always going to be very unpredictable. You intimate an arrogance on Crypt’s behalf that suggests they suddenly thought they’d pip Pates to the top. From what I’ve seen/experienced, there is far more ‘aren’t we wonderful’ arrogance at some of the other gs which is rather unattractive imo
cazien

Post by cazien »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Amber wrote:As stroudydad already noted, the shenanigans this year have not affected this 'pecking order' at all. If that was Crypt's aim, to pitch higher, it failed this time.
I know I’m predictable for biting but seriously....!?! Whoever did their figures messed up, yes it’s rubbish but it is what it is & the first year was always going to be very unpredictable. You intimate an arrogance on Crypt’s behalf that suggests they suddenly thought they’d pip Pates to the top. From what I’ve seen/experienced, there is far more ‘aren’t we wonderful’ arrogance at some of the other gs which is rather unattractive imo
Not to mention that STR also threw a spanner in the works by making their PAN 150, despite there website admissions policy stating PAN will be 120 for 2018 :!:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:
Not to mention that STR also threw a spanner in the works by making their PAN 150, despite there website admissions policy stating PAN will be 120 for 2018 :!:
Might be being dim here but how does that affect it?? This was a known change before any rankings for Crypt were decided?!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Watermelon8 wrote: FGS Amber :shock:
I know I’m predictable for biting but seriously....!?!
Yes. Not to mention quite unpleasant. You are great PR for the school, far moreso than I am sceptical. As the minutes of Crypt's own governors' meetings show, they were not acting out of desire to offer benevolent service to the community. I have no idea why you take every one of my comments on this to heart, or to mean that I dislike Crypt. As I have said many times before, I have nothing against it whatsoever - I was commenting on someone else's observations about pecking order. You never react to the positive comments I make (and I have) nor the negative ones about other schools (ditto) but are onto me the second you don't like something I say about Crypt. Perhaps we would both do well to remember that on the other side of this screen are real people with feelings.
Watermelon8 wrote: From what I’ve seen/experienced, there is far more ‘aren’t we wonderful’ arrogance at some of the other gs which is rather unattractive imo
I think there is only one school which I would accuse of that and it is not one being discussed on this thread.
cazien wrote:Not to mention that STR also threw a spanner in the works by making their PAN 150, despite there website admissions policy stating PAN will be 120 for 2018
Motivated by money, as was Crypt. It is a hard world out there.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:
I can't speak for Amber obviously, but I totally willing to say that from what I have read and seen, along with the facts that are in the public domain that Crypt were most definitely trying to become an alternative to Pates, but people are strange things, they don't like change, and so it failed. There, I said it. Sorry if that upsets people, it is my opinion, others will obviously differ. That's the great thing, we are all different, and have the freedom to be. It would be a sad day if someone took away that gift.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Tommies change in PAN was known a while before submitting choices, they just hadn’t changed it on their website. When I visited, I got the feeling they hadn’t really thought it through as they couldn't answer questions people had about the increase in PAN other than ‘it was an experiment’ before the official increase in 2019. It was slightly bizarre!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now