Grammar and Faith school expansion.

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: Grammar and Faith school expansion.

Post by mad? »

RedPanda wrote:I really do object to my taxes being used in this manner.
Me too, in fact of all the things that annoy me in education this is number 1 (and 2 adnnd 3 etc...)
mad?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

anotherdad wrote: So, far from refusing a particular child a place, they will offer a place if there are any left. For those wanting a quick summary without viewing the link, the priority list is:

Children with a SEN statement or EHCP
Looked after Catholic children
Children of really devout Catholic parents
Children of devout Catholic parents
Other looked after children
Children of really devout Christian parents of other denominations
Children of devout Christian parents of other denominations who support a Catholic ethos
Children whose parents support a Catholic ethos
Anyone else.
I am rather disappointed to see that the school puts "Other looked after children" before "Children of really devout Christian parents of other denominations". I wonder whether that is a sign of government interference in the admissions process, or is it perhaps a sign of the school's Christian charity towards orphans?
Loopy
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

In the above example, school has divided the applicants in two groups. Catholics and Non catholics.

And in each group, they have to give priority to Looked after children before other applicants.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

The application criteria for our primary school changed whilst I was a governor there.
LACs obviously remained first.
Previously the next criteria was attendance of the parish church and next was attendance of any Christian church.
Now the second criteria is based on address and the school being the closest school to walk to.
Then comes church attendance etc.
It was the vicar that was most vocal and keen to see the changes made.
I think he found it deeply irritating to see loads of parents rock up with their 2-3 year olds for 2 years, get the papers signed and then disappear again.
Last edited by loobylou on Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Firstly, I think that it will build cohesiveness if all faith schools have 50% or more open places, on distance basis. School remain a local school. Secondly, faith based places should not require Church or Synagogue etc attendance. It will discourage fraud and as well, when child attends school of that faith, they will learn about the ethos of that faith, whether parents attend the relevant Place if worship or not.

Lounylou, your school made the changes in the right direction.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

All other criteria are quantifiable but the degree of someone's religious observance is subjective. If a school must be faith-based, why not simply apply standard admissions rules instead of what will always be a subjective view of who-are-the-more-religious amongst the applicants?

All of the popular religions supposedly promote tolerance and inclusivity yet many faith schools discriminate and give preference to "their own kind". Again, the question has to be: What are they frightened of?
semb

Post by semb »

anotherdad wrote:All of the popular religions supposedly promote tolerance and inclusivity yet many faith schools discriminate and give preference to "their own kind". Again, the question has to be: What are they frightened of?
I'm a bit hesitant to post on this thread as I'm often not aware of how I come across - so just to be clear - I'm just trying to add extra information rather than taking a position one way or another.

In Catholicism, I think (very happy to be corrected) Canon Law states that Catholic parents have an obligation/duty to educate their children in Catholic schools. Rather than faith schools discriminating and giving preference to their own kind, perhaps they are just providing the places to enable Catholic parents to fulfill this obligation?

Obviously this leaves aside the issue of whether the state should fund faith schools at all, why non-religious parents would want to send their children to a school whose faith they didn't agree with/believe in/share just because of ofsted/sats league tables etc , but there we are.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Here are the admission rules for a C of E Primary school in Buckinghamshire:

Rule 1: Looked-after children and children who were previously looked after, but ceased to be so because, immediately after being looked after, they became subject to an adoption, child arrangements or special guardianship order. (see section 4).
Rule 2: Children with exceptional medical or social needs that make it essential that they attend XYZ CE Primary School rather than any other school. These needs must be fully supported by written evidence from a medical doctor, social worker, education welfare officer or other appropriate person involved with the family.
Rule 3: Children with a normal home address (see section 5) in the catchment area of the school (a map is attached to this policy), and with a sibling (see section 4) on the roll of the school at the time of the application and who is expected still to be in attendance at the time of entry to the school.
Rule 4: Children with a normal home address (see section 5) in the catchment area of the school.
Rule 5: Children with a normal home address (see section 5) outside the catchment area of the school and with a sibling (see section 4) on the roll of the school at the time of application and who is expected still to be in attendance at the time of entry to the school.
Rule 6: Other children."

I can't see any church attendance or faith requirement and it is not the only example I found.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Unfortunately, none of the faith schools near us had similar rules as in above post by G55, when we were looking for primary place for DC.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Fri May 18, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Here are the admission rules for a C of E primary school in Hertfordshire (names removed):

In the event of there being more applications than available spaces the following over subscription
criteria will be applied, in order;
1) children looked after and previously looked after. (see definitions below);
2) children who have social or medical needs;
3) children who have a sibling already attending the school at the proposed time of admission,
(see definitions below);
4) children who are attending nursery at same School and are eligible for the early years pupil
premium, pupil premium or service premium (see definitions below);
5) children who are already eligible for the early years pupil premium or service premium and
live within 1 mile of the school (see definitions below);
6) children, one of whose parents/guardians has a regular worshipping commitment at xyz Church, (see definitions below);
7) children, one of whose parents/guardians has a regular worshipping commitment at abc Church (see definitions below);
8.) children who have a sibling who is a past pupil of same School and will be attending affiliated middle Church of England School at the proposed time of admission (see definitions below);
9) children living with their parents/guardians at a permanent address in town where one of the parents/guardians has a regular
worshipping commitment at another Anglican church or church of another Christian
denomination affiliated to Churches Together in England & Ireland or the Evangelical Alliance
(see definitions below);
10) any other children

Criteria 6, 7 and 9. The word ‘regular’ is defined as meaning at least twice each calendar month for a
period of at least twelve months prior to the closing date for applications. For families new to the
area they should have attended at least twice each calendar month since their arrival in the area and
they should also submit a letter from the minister of their previous church or place of worship
indicating their pattern of worship there.
Please note that attendance of a child at Sunday School/Club or a church toddler group does not
meet the regular attendance requirement.
Please note that applications under criteria 6, 7 and 9 should also submit a clergy form.