Crypt Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: Crypt Appeals

Post by stroudydad »

Rachm82 wrote:In that case, why have an 11 plus exam?!! But let's not start on that one hey!!
Why have selection at all??
cazien

Post by cazien »

FGS Amber :shock:
I know I’m predictable for biting but seriously....!?! Whoever did their figures messed up, yes it’s rubbish but it is what it is & the first year was always going to be very unpredictable. You intimate an arrogance on Crypt’s behalf that suggests they suddenly thought they’d pip Pates to the top. From what I’ve seen/experienced, there is far more ‘aren’t we wonderful’ arrogance at some of the other gs which is rather unattractive imo[/quote]

Not to mention that STR also threw a spanner in the works by making their PAN 150, despite there website admissions policy stating PAN will be 120 for 2018 :!:[/quote]

Might be being dim here but how does that affect it?? This was a known change before any rankings for Crypt were decided?![/quote]

Because the number of GS places available on Admission Policies for each school forms part of the algorithm for working out qualifying ranks. STR AP still says today PAN for 2018 is 120.

STR announced increased in PAN to local press on 11 October 2017 so you are wrong to say it was known.

Quote from local press "The school is consulting on a change of policy which will increase its Year 7 intake from 120 boys to 150. The change will officially be introduced in September 2019, but the school says it will also ‘pilot’ the admission of 150 next year, meaning more boys’ places will be available for the children who receive their results this week."
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:FGS Amber :shock:
I know I’m predictable for biting but seriously....!?! Whoever did their figures messed up, yes it’s rubbish but it is what it is & the first year was always going to be very unpredictable. You intimate an arrogance on Crypt’s behalf that suggests they suddenly thought they’d pip Pates to the top. From what I’ve seen/experienced, there is far more ‘aren’t we wonderful’ arrogance at some of the other gs which is rather unattractive imo
Not to mention that STR also threw a spanner in the works by making their PAN 150, despite there website admissions policy stating PAN will be 120 for 2018 :!:[/quote]

Might be being dim here but how does that affect it?? This was a known change before any rankings for Crypt were decided?![/quote]

Because the number of GS places available on Admission Policies for each school forms part of the algorithm for working out qualifying ranks. STR AP still says today PAN for 2018 is 120.

STR announced increased in PAN to local press on 11 October 2017 so you are wrong to say it was known.

Quote from local press "The school is consulting on a change of policy which will increase its Year 7 intake from 120 boys to 150. The change will officially be introduced in September 2019, but the school says it will also ‘pilot’ the admission of 150 next year, meaning more boys’ places will be available for the children who receive their results this week."[/quote]

How did we all know that was the case before the test was taken then??
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Cazien, we were told about the increase in PAN when we went round Tommies. They said 2018 would be 150 but it was a pilot before the official increase in 2019.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

It would appear my quoting in the above remark didn't work well:-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:It would appear my quoting in the above remark didn't work well:-)
Nor indeed in Cazien's, which made it look as if I was saying what you said and she was saying about me what Watermelon8 said. When I logged back on it seemed like this:
Everyone on the entire forum and in the whole world wrote: FGS Amber :shock:
which made me want to go and cry somewhere.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I am not even going to attempt to quote anyone, as I don't want to end up rolling my eyes at Amber by mistake, who has probably quite had enough intentional and non-intentional eye rolls.

Amber: I agree with you. The changes at STRS, which took 30 boys who would have otherwise ended up at Crypt and Marling, was not the factor that caused Crypt to be undersubscribed by 71 places on allocation day. Even if all thirty of the "extra" STRS boys would have otherwise opted for Crypt, they still put their pass ranking 195 places too high.

But we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they're all good schools, as are a number of the non-grammars: the fact that Crypt royally messed up its admissions process this year doesn't have any correlation to the quality of education it provides. I'm sure it'll be much more straightforward for the kids going to secondary in 2020: Next year there'll still be some settling down, as people will be unsettled by this year's shenanigans, but it'll soon become the new normal.

Fortunately for me, the youngest Lysander doesn't start secondary until 2021, by which time, everything will be crystal clear (hollow laugh). And I'm sure, if she qualifies, she will have Crypt among the choices on her CAF, just like her older brother.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Lysander wrote:I am not even going to attempt to quote anyone, as I don't want to end up rolling my eyes at Amber by mistake, who has probably quite had enough intentional and non-intentional eye rolls.

Amber: I agree with you. The changes at STRS, which took 30 boys who would have otherwise ended up at Crypt and Marling, was not the factor that caused Crypt to be undersubscribed by 71 places on allocation day. Even if all thirty of the "extra" STRS boys would have otherwise opted for Crypt, they still put their pass ranking 195 places too high.

But we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that they're all good schools, as are a number of the non-grammars: the fact that Crypt royally messed up its admissions process this year doesn't have any correlation to the quality of education it provides. I'm sure it'll be much more straightforward for the kids going to secondary in 2020: Next year there'll still be some settling down, as people will be unsettled by this year's shenanigans, but it'll soon become the new normal.

Fortunately for me, the youngest Lysander doesn't start secondary until 2021, by which time, everything will be crystal clear (hollow laugh). And I'm sure, if she qualifies, she will have Crypt among the choices on her CAF, just like her older brother.
*smiles* I think it was me that said about the students being taken from Marling and Crypt not Amber - it's all getting a bit confusing... however, this was about appeals so shall we get back on track??)
Amber

Post by Amber »

:lol:
Lysander wrote:Amber: I agree with you.
That is enough for me - no matter that I didn't say it. Thank you Lysander. :)

And we all have far more important things to think about today, don't we? Get the bunting out everyone! :wink:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote::lol:
Lysander wrote:Amber: I agree with you.
That is enough for me - no matter that I didn't say it. Thank you Lysander. :)

And we all have far more important things to think about today, don't we? Get the bunting out everyone! :wink:
To tie up all the royalists??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now