Woodford County-Waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Woodford County-Waiting list

Post by ToadMum »

marizzy wrote:We have moved two places up instead of down :(
We were 7 at the end of March and 9 as of this week. Not sure why this is happening but starting to loose hope now.
It will have happened because late applicants have been added to the waiting list who rank higher on the school's oversubscriptions criteria than your DD does. Waiting lists have to be held in the same order as the ranking of admissions, at least until December 31st.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
marizzy

Post by marizzy »

thank you. Just hoping we could start moving in the other direction!
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

If you are at 9 you should be fine - we were at 25 originally and got an offer in July. Our list went up 2 at around this point then continued to fall, there are waves of falls though then nothing for a month. Not sure why goes up two - can be people moving into area or maybe appeals (DD just told me one girl in her class got in on appeal out of area as she had a very high score, in theory that shouldn't be possible).

Big drop came around open days (5 or so places) and then August (similar 5 or so places) then at least a couple didn't turn up first week of September. Gone private and not bothered to say so don't buy much uniform for other school if do get in. 2 have left DDs class this year and there's 6 classes and DD may well leave soon too as we may move and she hates it, its very all work and little play so suits some fine but DD is quite outgoing and struggled initially making friends, almost no one goes there from by us. Academically its very good but I would prefer she was happy.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

she hates it, its very all work and little play

I thought that there were loads of clubs at WCHS (I'm sure someone posted that on here somewhere)? Or is there just nothing that your DD fancies? Or do you mean the actual lessons are all of the 'nose to the grindstone' variety? I can see that that would suit some (or at least some on behalf of their parents? :shock: ).

Re the OOC girl who got in on appeal, part of the point of appeals is that you can exercise your right to appeal for any school for which you have applied and been turned down. And according to the Admissions Code, you can apply for any school, so merely being OOC is not a reason for the school not to consider your application, even if they rank your DC at the very bottom of the pile when they apply their published admissions policy to the list of applicants.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
marizzy

Post by marizzy »

Thanks Banana,
After the initial drop we had been stuck on 7 for a while, then moved up to 9 and now down to 8. I have had a look at last year's forum and this is what keeps me sane, as there is a pattern (that is being mirrored this year). Well, I guess I have to be patient.

The school we have been assigned is in Barnet (another Grammar School) and we have done nothing about moving hoping that this will work out at the end!
I see what you mean about the School itself and these thoughts have crossed my head too. My daughter is also outgoing and not the (very) studious type so sometimes I wonder what was wrong with Trinity???
Icecream

Post by Icecream »

Not seeing any movement. Induction days next week. Anyone know when next batch of movements happen.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Icecream wrote:Not seeing any movement. Induction days next week. Anyone know when next batch of movements happen.
If you're lucky, enough girls will hate the place at the induction day, have an indie place to fall back on and their parents tell Redbridge immediately that the WCHS place is no longer needed. Less lucky, not enough will, or they will decide to go with the indie place, but not tell Redbridge until the term starts, or at all.

Harking back to the appeals affecting waiting list thing, someone else's successful appeal should only put one's own DC nearer to the top, if the successful appellant(s) were higher up, or not change her position, if they were lower down. Appeals either award a place or don't - the panel can't move someone up a waiting list unless: the appeal is not upheld, but it comes to light at the hearing that an error had been made in ranking the appellant, even though correct ranking would not have given them a place anyway,, in which case, the admissions authority would be required to rectify this.

Of course, once a school has had to admit over PAN through appeal, that many extra places have to be given up before the next child is admitted from the waiting list.
marizzy

Post by marizzy »

Hi Icecream,
What position are you? We were 7 until May 20th and then moved to 5 on June 26th. According to Bananas, who was in a similar position last year, there is quite a bit of movement around the induction date. I went through the posts from last year ans she moved from 9 to 3 on July 7th and was offered a place on July 11th. Induction day last year was July 6th. Based on that I am (REALLY)hoping for the list to move this and next week.
Good luck and fingers crossed!
M
Icecream

Post by Icecream »

We are on ichs waiting list. Position 3. Been this way since April. The ichs forum is less active therefore posted on here.
bluevelvet

Post by bluevelvet »

marizzy wrote:Hi Icecream,
What position are you? We were 7 until May 20th and then moved to 5 on June 26th. According to Bananas, who was in a similar position last year, there is quite a bit of movement around the induction date. I went through the posts from last year ans she moved from 9 to 3 on July 7th and was offered a place on July 11th. Induction day last year was July 6th. Based on that I am (REALLY)hoping for the list to move this and next week.
Good luck and fingers crossed!
M
Hi Marizzy

It it looks like you have moved one more place than my dd, we have been on the same position since May, there were no movements in for us on the 26th of June?? Not sure how that works?? Does not all positions move the when one moves?