Simultaneous Equations Questions

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RedPanda

Re: Simultaneous Equations Questions

Post by RedPanda »

stroudydad wrote:
Guest55 wrote:CEM does not produce practice material - clearly the 'other' publishers need to be challenged.
But they do produce the test... which as has been stated has included such topics:-)
In the interests of pedantry, if we are referring to my post then it was GL not CEM :)

GL state that they test curriculum content covered during the early part of Year 6 (not just Year 5) which probably explains my daughter's question. Not sure how they work out what is covered in the early part of Year 6 though and I have no idea what CEM do.
dadadad

Post by dadadad »

Hello everyone and sorry to hijack the thread (I've been lurking for a while here)

On the topic of algebra or not
My son is in Y3 and recently he came home and shared a problem teacher gave him during math lesson that he found challenging. It was stated in abstract terms like this:

If a + b = 36 and a is twice b, find a and b

He eventually solved it using trial and error, but it took a while. Is that how they are supposed to do it?

Obviously it's trivial to solve using basic algebra but I tried to teach him and it just doesn't click :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Bucks GL [new test] is quite clear that is only tests to the end of Year 5 - so this is down to the group arranging the contract.
RedDevil66

Post by RedDevil66 »

dadadad wrote:Hello everyone and sorry to hijack the thread (I've been lurking for a while here)

On the topic of algebra or not
My son is in Y3 and recently he came home and shared a problem teacher gave him during math lesson that he found challenging. It was stated in abstract terms like this:

If a + b = 36 and a is twice b, find a and b

He eventually solved it using trial and error, but it took a while. Is that how they are supposed to do it?

Obviously it's trivial to solve using basic algebra but I tried to teach him and it just doesn't click :lol:
If they don't understand the concept of algebra then there's no point in going there just yet. The whole substitution thing can be confusing.
Bar modelling is far better IMO and the pictorial concept is far easier to teach
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

I think the Bucks Y5 ruling is a sensible one. Hopefully other GL regions will catch on.