EHCP admissions - do they over-ride the 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Louey

EHCP admissions - do they over-ride the 11+?

Post by Louey »

I've also posted this in the SEN section but I'm not sure how much traffic it gets so thought it was worth posting in here as well.

I ask because our LA has sent the draft ECHP to CGS for consultation but my son with SN has not taken the 11+! I am assuming that the school will just respond that they cannot accept him but I'm not sure of the rules around this. (I should say that he is nowhere near 11+ level and it is not at all appropriate for him). I can't see anything concrete on their website about whether an EHCP over-rides the 11+
semb

Re: EHCP admissions - do they over-ride the 11+?

Post by semb »

The only thing I could see on their website was:

"Children who qualify and who have statements of Special Educational Needs or Education, Health and Care
Plans, that name the school will be admitted prior to the application of the admission rules." (Admissions policy 2018)

So whilst it implies that having an EHCP naming the school will give automatic admission before the rest of the admissions rules are followed, this is only if the child has qualified...at least that's how I'd interpret the above? In which case, if your son hasn't taken the 11+ then he can't have qualified and therefore wouldn't be offered a place?

Hope you get some clarity soon!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

How very odd. As semb says, the statement only comes into play if he is deemed qualified and the school is named.

I'm sending you a PM.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Louey - I don't understand this at all. I will also PM you.
Louey

Post by Louey »

I've replied to you both Sally-Anne and Guest.

semb - yes that does read as though he would need to qualify first.

I may give CGS a call, just to help them towards the right decision in case my reading of the admissions criteria are wrong.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Is this not a similar situation as with 'looked after' children? They still need to sit the 11+ and achieve the same score as everyone else. It is only after qualification that the admission/priority rules kick in.

I could be wrong (given Sally-Anne and Guest55 haven't flagged this).

Good luck.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

RedPanda wrote:I could be wrong (given Sally-Anne and Guest55 haven't flagged this).
Ahem ...
Sally-Anne wrote:... if he is deemed qualified ...
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Apologies Sally Anne. It was your use of the phrase 'How very odd' that I assumed meant you didn't agree with the school's interpretation.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No-one in Year 5 has qualified hence my comment about 'not understanding' and nothing should have been done without consultation with parents anyway.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

Louey wrote:LA has sent the draft ECHP to CGS for consultation
I assume your DC is in year 5 and a named school EHCP is being sought?

If that is the case, from what I understand, a draft of the EHCP is sent to the school to be named.

The school can decline to be named if they do not feel they can support your DC. If this happens then you can appeal. If the appeal is successful the school is named on the EHCP.

If the school doesn't object the named school EHCP is then produced. The named school EHCP should ideally be finalised before school applications are submitted.

I should add that my understanding of the process is based on information from a friend who is looking to obtain a named school ECHP, so happy to stand corrected on this.