The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
buzzybee

Re: The Final Push - how's it going for your dc (and you) ?

Post by buzzybee »

Dd messaged to say Maths exam worst one so far :( She said it was really hard so I asked her if that was just her view or everyone thought that? She said most thought it was hard. Shes’s at a GS and she is ok at maths so a bit worried now! English tomorrow which is more her thing (A Level choice) so would be nice to end the week before 1/2 term on a good note. Last RS paper this afternoon.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Reading Mum wrote: ... Eng Lit tomorrow is not going to be the same - we have made it through 4 out of 6 episodes of P&P with Colin Firth but she still loathes it.
:shock: one of my top favourites, that together with To Kill A Mockingbird - Pride & Prejudice is my 'I'm stressed and need to relax book', I just loved reading this when I was at school ... as to Colin Firth in the BBC adaption he definintely was the Mr Darcy I always imagined from the book :D

Might get my DVD set out and have a 'binge' - these GCSE's are definitely stressful ... for the parent's that is, not just the children :roll:

Hope your DD gets through tomorrow, for my DC just crossing off their exam list is giving them hope - DCs not looking forward to tomorrow either, especially the Poetry!
Heartmum x x x
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

she hated Mockingbird too - just not her sort of subject matter.
Eng Lit 2 tomorrow is just unseen poetry so difficult to prep for that at this point - she tells me.
She and DH are off to a gig in London tomorrow evening which is a nice reward for being 2 weeks through. I am looking forward to a quiet night in with the dogs and a glass of something cold.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

DS has Eng Lit tomorrow and that's it then for a week.

He's taking tomorrow afternoon off and all day Saturday and not going to do any revision.

A break will recharge his batteries.

Back to it on Sunday, 8 days of 7-8 hours a day!

Pity DS not doing P&P - any excuse to watch Colin Firth as Mr Darcey :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd advise a longer break than that - they should not need to be doing that much revision now.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Maths 'not bad, better than the rest so far'. So it seems DC is happy so far. Plan 'some revision' before sleeping. And rest tomorrow after exam and on weekend, it is mostly football and hanging out with friends.
piggys

Post by piggys »

tiffinboys wrote: And rest tomorrow after exam and on weekend, it is mostly football and hanging out with friends.
Hear hear. Dd will be going for lunch with her friend after school tomorrow then having a sleepover :D . They need a break!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I'm waiting for Mrschubbs view on the physics from yesterday:-)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

piggys wrote:
tiffinboys wrote: And rest tomorrow after exam and on weekend, it is mostly football and hanging out with friends.
Hear hear. Dd will be going for lunch with her friend after school tomorrow then having a sleepover :D . They need a break!
Thanks, piggys. DC did pick up some points from your Poetry and Prose tips. He is also worried about language papers.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

I’m back. Busy day. :wink: View of AQA individual sciences physics higher paper only, not trilogy was that it was a reasonable paper in terms of content as long as they knew their required practicals (as there were quite a few) and could apply the principles of them as the examples used weren’t always the same ones they would have done in class. The paper definitely got harder as it went on (as it should) which may have led to students feeling that it wasn’t going well especially as there was a lot of maths in there. The higher demand questions (as in the level 8/9 testing questions tend to come at the end). A lot of common sense questions which seem weird to students are just that, common sense, and as they get familiar with the question types through practice they will recognise them. The banana one is a good example, basically saying that by giving people a day to day item that they don’t see as dangerous, they can better understand that you are surrounded by radiation and not all radiation is going to kill you by instant exposure. You would have to eat around 400 bananas in one go to be hurt by the radiation from them, but you would probably have died of potassium poisoning by then. All this is of no comfort to the DC’s who are taking the exams this year. So the view is that the grade boundaries will be generous. Hope this makes sense. Your DC’s will find it difficult to judge how they have done as they can’t see that they will get workings out marks, error carried forward and all sorts. I have my fingers crossed for them all. Onwards. ❤️
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now